"Fiordland" Fiordland National Park by TomorrowsAngel
Fiordland National Park Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 109 photos
Fiordland is located on the south-west coast of the South Island of New Zealand.
As one of the most dramatic and beautiful parts of New Zealand, Fiordland has achieved World Heritage status and is often called the Sightseeing and Walking Capital of the world.
The best base for exploring the Fiordland region is the attractive resort town of Te Anau. From here it is an easy two hours drive to Milford Sound and twenty minutes drive to Lake Manapouri and the start of a Doubtful Sound excursion. The road to Milford Sound is considered to be one of the world's finest alpine drives.
You can explore Fiordland National Park by foot, sea kayak or boat, or take to the air and do it the flightseeing way. The Park covers 1.2 million hectares and showcases dramatic wilderness on a grand scale. Waterfalls tumble hundreds of metres into pristine, forested valleys, sheer-sided fiords slide gracefully into the sea, rare native birds and sea creatures go about their lives in a near-perfect world.
Famous walking trails in the region include the Milford, Kepler, Hollyford and Routeburn Tracks. In most cases you can head off on your own, and guides are available for some tracks.
Te Anau township has a range of fine restaurants, seven days a week shopping and can cater for all levels of accommodation. Local attractions include fishing, golf, 4WD (four-wheel driving), motorbikes, hunting and cave explorations.
It is the rarest penguin in the world, with only 3,000 known breeding pairs. A protected species, the Fiordland crested... more travel advice
Hollyford Track (80km) leads the walker from the sheer rock walls of the Darren Mountains down to the sand dunes of the... more travel advice
TomorrowsAngel's Related Pages
Fiordland National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Quiet on the Sound"
- "New Zealand Trip 1999 - Fiordland"
- "FAQ - Under Construction"
- "The Deep South"
- "FIORDLAND NTL PARK"
- "Cruising Fiords and Lakes - Hiking - Meeting Birds"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fiordland National Park
- Hotels in Fiordland National Park
- Transportation in Fiordland National Park
- Restaurants in Fiordland National Park
- Shopping in Fiordland National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Fiordland National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fiordland National Park
- 12 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Fiordland National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fiordland National Park
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jiddah Intro, 48 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saudi Arabia Intro, 39 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riyadh Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Muscat Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arrowtown Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- India Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunedin Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Invercargill Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Agra Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos