"Arrowtown" Top 5 Page for this destination Arrowtown by TomorrowsAngel
Arrowtown Travel Guide: 113 reviews and 310 photos
Arrowtown is in the Central Otago District of New Zealand's South Island. Its in a great location - 20 minutes' drive from the international
resort destination of Queenstown and just minutes from the Millbrook Country Club.
Arrowtown was a major trading post during the 1900's gold rush, which attracted a lot of settlers and immigrants to the area, each hoping to strike it rich.... you can see the old mining equipment scattered along the sides of the Arrow and Shotover Rivers in places. After the gold rush, Arrowtown survived as a base for the surrounding farming community which established in the area when many of the permanent settlers gave up mining and turned their hand to farming.
In more recent times, Arrowtown has become an attraction as a living historic town and remains a popular holiday destination renowned for its scenic beauty.
Today Arrowtown boasts a permanent population of around 2,200 people and serves as a satellite town to Queenstown. Strict town planning and historic protection orders have been established such that the originality of the buildings are retained and that new buildings are constructed in a sympathetic manner.
The Avenue of mature Sycamore and Oak trees which were planted in 1867 and today are synonymous with the image of Arrowtown, provide a living link with Arrowtown’s colourful past.
Arrowtown has an array of quality shops, restaurants and cafes.
Gon on a leisurely walk down the main street, view the shops, take in a coffee, have an ice cream and explore the history.
The museum is a focal point for all who wish to exlore the history of this vibrant historic gold mining town.
- Pros:autumn - beautiful restored stone cottages underneath the brillant red trees
- Cons:gets a wee bit crowded at times
- In a nutshell:step back in time when you visit this famous historic goldmining town
As an information outlet and booking agent the Lakes District Museum Information Centre is often the first stop for... more travel advice
The Arrowtown library with its cosy colonial character is designed to fit in with the history of the town, as the... more travel advice
TomorrowsAngel's Related Pages
Arrowtown Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Arrowtown a special hideaway."
- "Arrowtown - Discover the Historic Mining Town"
- "Arrowtown - A Beautiful Town Among the Mountains"
- "Arrowtown, Otago."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arrowtown
- Hotels in Arrowtown
- Transportation in Arrowtown
- Nightlife in Arrowtown
- Restaurants in Arrowtown
- Shopping in Arrowtown
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arrowtown
- 24 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Arrowtown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arrowtown
Photos in ArrowtownSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jiddah Intro, 48 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saudi Arabia Intro, 39 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riyadh Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Muscat Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arrowtown Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- India Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunedin Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Invercargill Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Agra Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos