"Dahab" Top 5 Page for this destination Kawm ad Dahab by TomorrowsAngel
Kawm ad Dahab Travel Guide: 112 reviews and 331 photos
Dahab is a small Egyptian Bedouin town on the edge of the Sinai desert, on the Gulf Aqaba. For those seeking a more tranquil alternative to the hustle and bustle of the two heaving diving metropolises on the Red Sea, this friendly little community comes as a refreshing alternative.
Dahab has seen many generations of travellers ? the Bedouin fishermen, the hippies of the 80s and backpackers of the 90s. And throughout this time, the Israeli visitors have made Dahab their home in the summer months.
Today, there is a beautiful mix of all these people in Dahab. They live, work and holiday alongside the divers and adventure seekers that have discovered Dahab in the last 5 years.
Dahab has excellent hotel accommodations, but also affords less expensive housing in the village, or camping. It also has the advantage of offering only shore diving, which leaves much more time to do things other than waiting on board a boat all day.
Dahab actually consists of two villages, the Bedouin village of Assalah is the southern half, with the business and administrative center of Dahab to the north. Dahab means 'gold' in Arabic. In Sinai it means golden sands, turquoise sea and off-beat cafe life. It is a focus of tourism development, with swaying palms, fine sand and wonderful snorkeling opportunities. About 5 miles from town is the famous Blue Hole, for diving. Towards the Israeli border is the Island of Coral, where the Crusaders built a fort. The remains can still be seen.
- Pros:covered in palm trees, surrounded with pristine coral reefs and full of fish
- In a nutshell:a tropical island paradise on the edge of the barren desert
We stayed at the Old Sphinx Hotel. It's located at the end of the main street and is only 5 minutes. It seemed to be... more travel advice
Crystal-clear waters of a deep-blue hue contrast with the thick foliage of the palm trees that mark the main drag of... more travel advice
TomorrowsAngel's Related Pages
Kawm ad Dahab Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paradise in Egypt"
- "Red Sea Diving"
- "Eco diving in Dahab"
- "Dahab a nice place to chill"
- "Dahab and the The Blue Hole"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kawm ad Dahab
- Hotels in Kawm ad Dahab
- Transportation in Kawm ad Dahab
- Nightlife in Kawm ad Dahab
- Restaurants in Kawm ad Dahab
- Shopping in Kawm ad Dahab
- Warnings and Dangers in Kawm ad Dahab
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kawm ad Dahab
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Kawm ad Dahab?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kawm ad Dahab
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jiddah Intro, 48 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saudi Arabia Intro, 39 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riyadh Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Muscat Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arrowtown Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- India Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunedin Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Invercargill Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Agra Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos