"Philae" Philae by TomorrowsAngel
Philae Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 342 photos
South of the city of Aswan lies the beautiful temple complex of Philae (pronounced "feel-i"). Philae in Greek or Pilak in ancient Egyptian, meaning 'the end,' defined the southern most limit of Egypt.
Philae’s construction was begun by Ptolemy II, during the third century B.C. and completed by the Roman Emperors. Its main temple was dedicated to the goddess Isis, the wife of Osiris and mother of Horus.
Philae was the last bastion of ancient Egyptian religion and hieroglyphic usage. It is also a superb example of threatened cultural heritage being saved in the face of modern civilization's march to change the environment.
Today, Philae is one of the highlights of any visit to Aswan. To reach it, one can take an organised excursion booked through a travel agent or hotel, or visit it independently.
If time permits, a night visit for the Sound and Light Show is very worthwhile as the temples look stunning under floodlights. Shows are presented in English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish and Arabic.
To reach the Philae Temple Complex, you can take an organised excursion booked through a travel agent or hotel.... more travel advice
The Temple was dedicated to the goddess Isis, the wife of Osiris and mother of Horus. These three characters dominate... more travel advice
TomorrowsAngel's Related Pages
Philae Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Philae Temples at night"
- "Philae - Temple on the Island"
- "Nile River Temple on Philae Island"
- "Philae temples"
- "The Temple of Philae"
- "Last Retreat for the Ancient Egyptian Religion"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Philae
- Transportation in Philae
- Nightlife in Philae
- Restaurants in Philae
- Warnings and Dangers in Philae
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Philae
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Philae?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Philae
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jiddah Intro, 48 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saudi Arabia Intro, 39 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riyadh Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Muscat Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arrowtown Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- India Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunedin Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Invercargill Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Agra Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos