"Glenorchy" Glenorchy by TomorrowsAngel
Glenorchy Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 121 photos
Glenorchy offers a tranquil setting for those who simply want to relax and enjoy the mountain air. A perfect retreat where you can go fishing, riding or walking around the local wetland areas, taking in the mountain scenery.
The serene township, population 200, is located at the northern end of Lake Wakatipu (about 40 minutes drive from Queenstown) and is the gateway to rugged Mt Aspiring National Park and the start of the famous Routeburn track.
The town has a petrol station, accommodation, grocery shop, a couple of pubs and cafés, a small museum and a golf course. The Glenorchy area was used for filming Lord of the Rings scenes involving Isengard (Glenorchy and Paradise), Lothlorien (Paradise), Ithilien Camp (Twelve Mile Delta) and Amon Hen (Closeburn).
- In a nutshell:Glenorchy is an ideal base for unwinding or for venturing out on the Great Walks
Staying at the Glenorchy Hotel is the ideal way to relax and enjoy genuine Kiwi hospitality. Enjoy the comforts of... more travel advice
Dining is available from the fully licensed Rod and Rucksack Restaurant and café at the Glen Roydon Lodge. The bar is... more travel advice
TomorrowsAngel's Related Pages
Glenorchy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~ Glenorchy - Gateway to the Routeburn Track ~"
- "A rural paradise"
- "Glenorchy, Otago."
- "My Favourite Part"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glenorchy
- Hotels in Glenorchy
- Transportation in Glenorchy
- Restaurants in Glenorchy
- Shopping in Glenorchy
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glenorchy
- 11 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Glenorchy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glenorchy
Photos in GlenorchySee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jiddah Intro, 48 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saudi Arabia Intro, 39 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riyadh Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Muscat Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arrowtown Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- India Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunedin Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Invercargill Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Agra Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
Latest Glenorchy hotel reviews
- Glenorchy Holiday Park
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 14, 2013