"Invercargill" Top 5 Page for this destination Invercargill by TomorrowsAngel
Invercargill Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 58 photos
Invercargill is the southernmost city in the world. It is located in the province of Southland which is known as part of the "Friendly South" (along with Otago).
I grew up in Otatara which is really close nearby, about a 5 minute drive from our house.
Since I moved to KSA, I've been home in December 2003 and April 2006 .... the city is heaps more modern now and caters to tourists a bit better.
Invercargill is known far and wide for its hospitality to visitors, it is the gateway to some of New Zealand's most beautiful scenery; the Catlins, Fiordland and Stewart Island.
Originally settled by Scottish immigrants about 1830, the city's prosperity was founded on the lush grasslands of Southland and today several million of the country's best sheep and increasingly, dairy herds graze on the green paddocks surrounding the city.
Invercargill offers the visitor all the benefits of a city with an urban population of over 56,000. It is Southlands major service centre and transport hub. The airport links travellers with other main centres within hours and trains and buses depart nationwide daily.
A pleasant moderate climate prevails with the city escaping the more extreme variations in temperature due to its coastal position. In summer, daylight hours range from 8am until 10pm - a unique opportunity to make full use of all the city has to offer.
- Pros:small-town atmosphere with friendly locals
- Cons:night-life isn't too lively
- In a nutshell:southernmost city in the world
under construction under construction more travel advice
Sit down or takeaway, step inside to order or use the window out on the pavement ..... from vegetarian to chicken or... more travel advice
TomorrowsAngel's Related Pages
Invercargill Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home Base"
- "Blooming Marvellous"
- "Southern Port City and Gateway to Stewart"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Invercargill
- Hotels in Invercargill
- Nightlife in Invercargill
- Restaurants in Invercargill
- Shopping in Invercargill
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kansas City
- Tel Aviv District Hotels
- Shirlington Hotels
- Jeju-do Hotels
- Castellón de la Plana
- Sproat Lake Hotels
- Freiburg im Breisgau
- Cape Hatteras State Park Hotels
- Saint Simons Island
- Sai Kung
- Harris Beach State Park Hotels
Badges & Stats in Invercargill
- 17 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Invercargill?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Invercargill
Photos in InvercargillSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jiddah Intro, 48 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saudi Arabia Intro, 39 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riyadh Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Muscat Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arrowtown Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- India Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunedin Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Invercargill Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Agra Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos