"Napier" Top 5 Page for this destination Napier by TomorrowsAngel
Napier Travel Guide: 187 reviews and 484 photos
Located on the southwest shores of Hawkes Bay, NZ, Napier enjoys a sunny Mediterranean-like climate and settled weather, allowing for fruit-growing, vineyards, and tourism.
A devastating earthquake in 1931 leveled most of the city which was rebuilt in the then fashionable Art Deco style. Napier is now considered the Art Deco Capital of the world.
There are world class attractions including Cape Kidnappers - the only mainland gannet colony, the Marine Parade which includes Marineland of New Zealand (our national aquarium), vineyards with award winning wines, and special events such as the Mission Concert, Harvest Hawkes Bay weekend, and the annual Napier Art Deco weekend.
Tourism is a major part of the local economy and the city is filled with places to stay, things to do, and friendly people with a friendly attitude to make a visit special.
For the active there is every other outdoor adventure you can imagine from jet-boating between wineries, hot air ballooning, surfing, caving, paragliding, sailing, windsurfing or fishing for trout the size most people only dream about.
Industries also play a part in Napier's success with several major companies located here, including the Ravensdown Fertilizer works at Awatoto, the Pan-Pac Pulp and Paper Mill 10km north of Napier.
Napier is linked to the outside world by highways (South, North, and West), a rail freight link south to Palmerston North, a modern port at the foot of Bluff Hill, and a modern airport with daily flights to other major New Zealand cities.
Located on Marine, opposite the sea, the distinction blue restaurant stands out on the street. Inside, decor is mainly... more travel advice
Marine Parade is worth the walk down and back again. Lots of gardens, fountains, memorials and scullptures line both... more travel advice
TomorrowsAngel's Related Pages
Napier Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Napier, Art Deco architecture capital of the world"
- "ART DECO CITY"
- "Art Deco capital of New Zealand"
- "Life on a gravel bed"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Napier
- Hotels in Napier
- Transportation in Napier
- Nightlife in Napier
- Restaurants in Napier
- Shopping in Napier
- Warnings and Dangers in Napier
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Napier
- 17 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Napier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Napier
Photos in NapierSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jiddah Intro, 48 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saudi Arabia Intro, 39 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riyadh Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Muscat Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arrowtown Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- India Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunedin Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Invercargill Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Agra Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos