"Avanos" Avanos by TomorrowsAngel
Avanos Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 35 photos
Avanos is about 8 km from Göreme. The town has a lively shopping center with all the usual amenities including a modern, tourist orientated hamam (Turkish Bath). A travelling market visits Avanos on Fridays.
Starting just outside the shopping center the old village of Avanos winds up the hills leading away from the town and is a beautiful maze of old stone houses, some restored, some converted and some sadly abandoned to their fate. In some of the abandoned houses the features of traditional Ottoman architecture can be seen along with ancient decorations, motifs and murals.
About 14 km from Avanos is the underground city of Özkonak and the 13th century Seljuk caravaserai, Sarýhan (which is now a museum), is only about 3 km away.
The Kizilirmak, the Red River, which gets its name from the clay that it deposits, separates Avanos from the rest of Cappadocia, and is the longest river in Turkey. It is by this river that the red pottery clay is found from which Avanos derives it's main livelihood and it's foremost claim to fame.
Pottery has been produced in the Avanos area for several centuries and some of the techniques still used date back to Hittite times.
Avanos is a possible base for exploring Cappadocia with accommodation and services available at reasonable rates. The town has retained some of its charm and is a pleasant place to spend half a day or to stop for lunch. The town has a tourist targeted Hamam (Turkish bath) which is popular with tour groups and is also close to the Selcuk built Yellow Caravanserai, a restored Han (travellers 'service station'), and the Ozkanak Underground city, a smaller version of those at Derinkuyu and Kaymakli.
Zelve Open Air Museum is the site of a 4th century monastery, where three canyons meet in one valley. It is located 5km... more travel advice
TomorrowsAngel's Related Pages
Avanos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Avanos: The Pottery capital"
- "GETTING DOWN AND DIRTY IN AVANOS"
- "Avanos from my Eyes..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Avanos
- Hotels in Avanos
- Nightlife in Avanos
- Restaurants in Avanos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Avanos
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Avanos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Avanos
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jiddah Intro, 48 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saudi Arabia Intro, 39 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riyadh Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Muscat Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arrowtown Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- India Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunedin Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Invercargill Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Agra Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos