"Ephesus" Ephesus by TomorrowsAngel
Ephesus Travel Guide: 508 reviews and 1,922 photos
We spent time discovering Ephesus on our way between Gallipoli Peninisula and Kusadasi.
The weather was really hot and dry -so bring lots of water. There are guys selling it there, but prices are 'touristy'.
Ephesus is an ancient Ionian Greek city; its ruins lie near the modern village of Selcuk in Western Turkey. It was situated south of the Cayster River, and was the site of the Temple of Artemis. Traditionally founded by the Carians, it was one of the 12 Ionian Cities and was involved in the Persian and Peloponnesian wars.
It was taken by Alexander the Great c.334BC and prospered throughout the Hellenistic period. It passed to Rome in 133 BC; under Augustus it became the capital of the Roman province of Asia.
It was an early seat of Christianity, visited by St. Paul, and the recipient of the Epistle to the Ephesians. The Goths destroyed the city and temple in AD 262; neither ever recovered. There are extensively excavated ruins at the modern site.
The Odeion, in which State events and concerts were held, was ordered to be constructed, by Publius Vedius Antoninus and... more travel advice
This street, which starts at the Celsus Library and extends east to the Magnesia Gate, is known as the Street of the... more travel advice
TomorrowsAngel's Related Pages
Ephesus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE WONDER OF EPHESUS"
- "Ephesus - Ancient city"
- "The Inspiring Roman Ruins of Ephesus"
- "Ephesus the open air Museum"
- "Ephesus (Efes) and Nearby Selcuk"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ephesus
- Hotels in Ephesus
- Transportation in Ephesus
- Nightlife in Ephesus
- Restaurants in Ephesus
- Shopping in Ephesus
- Warnings and Dangers in Ephesus
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ephesus
- 14 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Ephesus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ephesus
Photos in EphesusSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jiddah Intro, 48 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saudi Arabia Intro, 39 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riyadh Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Muscat Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arrowtown Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- India Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunedin Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Invercargill Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Agra Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos