"home sweet home" Top 5 Page for this destination Riyadh by TomorrowsAngel
Riyadh Travel Guide: 566 reviews and 1,125 photos
I arrived in Riyadh on the 11th June 2002. My job is based in Riyadh for most of the year, but I've been lucky and got to spend the last 2 summers in Jeddah.
Riyadh, today’s capital of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, emerged from the ruins of Hajr Al-Yamama city (ancient city dating back to the time of the Tasm and Judais tribes). The fortresses and castles built by these tribes were said to have existed until the beginning of the fourth Hijra (Islamic) century.
The name Ar-Riyadh (a plural of Rawdah in Arabic means orchard or green garden) hmmm.
Today, Riyadh is one of the fastest growing and most prosperous cities in the world. In less than half a century, its residents increased from 20,000 to approximately four million. (As in the WHOLE population of New Zealand).
Riyadh has an increasing number of high-tech glass, steel and concrete buildings, but ugly apartment buildings built in the 60s and 70s still feature heavily downtown.
Riyadh has all the standard chain hotels, large modern hospitals, plus the biggest airport in the world.
The centre of Riyadh - Al-Bathaa - is the oldest part of the city. Al Bathaa is home to the bus station, post office and batha souk.
Most of Riyadh's places to stay are near the bus station, as are the coffee shops and shwarma stands.
- Pros:hussle and bustle of the souks
- Cons:those young (and not so young) boyracers
- In a nutshell:disappear down in Baatha or grab a latte at Starbucks - the best of old and new reigns supreme
It's great to see a 'gourmet-type' place located in a shopping mall, because taxi fares to restaurants are an added... more travel advice
Debenhams takes up one end of Kingdom Towers 3-storey shopping mall. The top floor is ladies-only, you can try on... more travel advice
TomorrowsAngel's Related Pages
Riyadh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Riyadh..My New HOME"
- "Welcome to the MidWest - erm... Middle East"
- "Riyadh, 5 Million of Inhabitants from All Over"
- "home sweet home"
- "ý19 an hour,I'll go"
- "Believe it or not but it's my passion"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riyadh
- Hotels in Riyadh
- Transportation in Riyadh
- Nightlife in Riyadh
- Restaurants in Riyadh
- Shopping in Riyadh
- Warnings and Dangers in Riyadh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Riyadh
- 14 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 16 Forum posts
- 56 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Riyadh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riyadh
Photos in RiyadhSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jiddah Intro, 48 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saudi Arabia Intro, 39 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riyadh Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Muscat Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arrowtown Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- India Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunedin Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Invercargill Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Agra Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos