"Jabal al Hijaz" Jabal al Hijaz by TomorrowsAngel
Jabal al Hijaz Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 13 photos
I've been to Taif, located in the Jabal Al Hijaz mountains twice.
Both times it has been in summer. Up in these mountains it is hot and dry during the day, and pretty cool at night.
Jabal al Hijaz is geographically located on the western coast of Saudi Arabia. It is made up of two mountain ranges separated by a gap near the city of Mecca.
The northern range in the Hijaz seldom exceeds 2,100m, and the elevation gradually decreases toward the south to about 600m around Mecca.
The landscape of Hjiaz is varied, to west there are rugged mountains dropping steeply to the Red Sea, eroded slopes, fertile plains, and wadis (dry riverbeds).
To the east the land is not as steep and are wadis lead the rare rainfalls down to the plains. Scattered oases, draw water from springs and wells in the vicinity of the wadis, permit some settled agriculture. Of these oases, the largest and most important is Medina.
South of Mecca, the mountains exceed 2400m in several places with some peaks topping 3000m. The rugged western face drops steeply to the coastal plain, the Tihamah lowlands, whose width averages only 65km.
Along the seacoast are salty tidal plains, backed by potentially rich alluvial plains. Relatively well-watered and fertile upper slopes behind are extensively terraced to allow maximum land use.
The eastern slope of the mountain range in Asir is gentle, melding into a plateau region that drops gradually into the Rub al Khali. Although rainfall is infrequent, fertile wadis, the most important are the Wadis Bishah and Tathlith, make oasis agriculture possible on a relatively large scale.
A number of lava beds (harrat) scar the surfaces of the plateaus east of the mountain ranges in the Hijaz and Asir and give evidence of fairly recent volcanic activity. The largest is Khaybar, north of Medina.
Al Hada is located in the Taif Mountains at an altitude of 6000ft (1800m). At this altitude, oxygen is less readily... more travel advice
TomorrowsAngel's Related Pages
Jabal al Hijaz Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Jabal al Hijaz
- 2 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Jabal al Hijaz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jabal al Hijaz
Photos in Jabal al HijazSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jiddah Intro, 48 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saudi Arabia Intro, 39 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riyadh Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Muscat Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arrowtown Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- India Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunedin Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Invercargill Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Agra Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos