"muscat" Top 5 Page for this destination Muscat by TomorrowsAngel
Muscat Travel Guide: 425 reviews and 1,175 photos
Greater Muscat is made up of three distinct cities, separated geographically by hills and ridges, and each with its own particular identity.
Muscat is the old port area; Mutrah, to the northwest, is the main trading district with the country’s most important harbour; whereas Ruwi, built on a grid-plan in a valley a few kilometres inland, has developed only in the late 20th century into a modern commercial and administrative centre. Still newer parts are the largely residential suburb of Qurm, and Medinat Qaboos with many government buildings, west of Mutrah on the coast. Al-Bustani, south of Muscat, boasts a luxury hotel: the Al-Bustan Palace Hotel.
The city is guarded east and west by two great stone forts, built on Arab foundations by the Portuguese in the late 16th century, making the port almost impregnable. Until the 1970s, cannons were fired from the two towers every night as the town gates were dragged shut. Both forts are used by the police and army and are closed to the public, though you can take photos. Fort Jalali, to the east, used to serve as a prison. The Sultan’s Royal Guard is installed in Fort Mirani, where there are still some old bronze cannons.
The capital of Oman is an ancient walled city, built around a fine natural harbour and encircled by rocky mountains that provide an impressive backdrop to a mixture of traditional and modern architecture. It is the hub of the country's political, economic and cultural commercial affairs.
You are allowed to visit the mosque free of charge as long as you are modestly dressed with long sleeves and trousers.... more travel advice
The Omani French Museum is based in the original French Consul's residence, Bait Fransa built in 1896. Exhibits concern... more travel advice
TomorrowsAngel's Related Pages
Muscat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Muscat - An Amazing Arabic Port City"
- "Muscat - مسقط"
- "Muscat, A Beautiful Lush Green"
- "the road to muscat"
- "MUSCAT - OMAN - THE LAND OF FRANKENCENSE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Muscat
- Hotels in Muscat
- Transportation in Muscat
- Nightlife in Muscat
- Restaurants in Muscat
- Shopping in Muscat
- Warnings and Dangers in Muscat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Muscat
- 19 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Muscat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Muscat
Photos in MuscatSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jiddah Intro, 48 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saudi Arabia Intro, 39 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riyadh Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Muscat Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arrowtown Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- India Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunedin Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Invercargill Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Agra Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos