Pittsburgh Things to Do Tips by Parklife Top 5 Page for this destination
Pittsburgh Things to Do: 257 reviews and 627 photos
The similarities between Pittsburgh and Venice aren't just the number of bridges (Pittsburgh is 2nd in the world only to Venice in # of bridges within city limits - 720). Both cities also have a Bridge of Sighs.
Pittsburgh's Bridge of Sighs crosses Ross Street between Forbes and 5th Ave. It connects the courthouse with what used to be the old county Jailhouse.
The PPG building downtown is the most recognizable building in Pittburgh. This striking plaza can be seen on most any picture of the 'burgh skyline and is made up of over 1 million square feet of clear reflective glass.
The Andy Warhol Museum is the largest collection of Warhol art in the world and home to most of his major works. Find out what makes Andy, Andy as you find yourself walking through a room with floating Mylar balloons or staring at a wall full of Cows.
Every Friday evening, the Warhol museum is open until 10pm and for a minimal cover charge, you can check out the museum and visit their cash bar. They also put on special programs (concerts, movies, lectures, parties, etc...) every Friday for an additional cost in various parts of the museum.
It's not enough to check out the point from across the rivers, from atop Mt. Washington or while driving across a bridge. To appreciate where you're at, go to Point State Park. Not only will it give you a different perspective of the surrounding areas, but you'll be down near the waterways, standing where our country's forefathers stood. One of the most important forts in the history of our country stood a couple hundred yards behind you. Go visit the museum and get an idea of just how strategic this area was in the foundation of America and the not too distant pass when the rivers running beside you shipped steel down the Ohio.
The Cathedral of Learning is the second tallest education building in the world (42 stories tall). If for nothing else, go inside the building to view the gothic commons room. Arches, gargoyles and large open spaces are often the home of university student study sessions and quiet places to talk. Grab coffee from a nearby cafe and unwind.
There is more to see inside this building though. There are 26 Nationality Rooms that depict classrooms from around the world decorated and design in the unique style of a countryies culture. I know they do tours but I don't recall when or how often. There is a help desk in the commons area that can help.
Address: In Oakland near the Univerity of Pittsburgh
Not only do they give us condiments, but the Heinz family also brought us one hell of a church. I'm not much the religious sort but Heinze Chapel is one site to behold. It's an interdenomonational church built in americanized neo-gothic architecture. Of note are the 73 foot tall transept stained glass windows (among the tallest in the world) depicting an equal number of men and women.
Directions: Heinze Chapel is found next to the Cathedral of Learning near the University of Pitt in Oakland.
More Reviews (17)
- Catching a Stiller game from the bar
- Do not...
- See All Get Ducky!!!
- Station Square
- See All Drinks and a movie
Parklife's Related Pages
Pittsburgh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PITTSBURGH--Cultural, Sports Crazy, Riverside City"
- "Welcome back, Sid."
- "Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania"
- "Beautiful and Historical Pittsburgh"
- "My "O"riginal home town..."
- "Welcome to the 'Burgh!"
- "Pittsburgh - the largest city of the Appalachia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pittsburgh
- Hotels in Pittsburgh
- Transportation in Pittsburgh
- Nightlife in Pittsburgh
- Restaurants in Pittsburgh
- Shopping in Pittsburgh
- Warnings and Dangers in Pittsburgh
- See All...
Explore the World
- Oneota Hotels
- Greenwood Hotels
- San Narciso
- Panghiawan Hotels
- County Sligo
- Shikellamy State Park Hotels
Badges & Stats in Pittsburgh
- 23 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Pittsburgh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pittsburgh
- Posted in Travel Las Vegas Forum "Re: Re: First time for European?"
- Wrote a Review Catching a Stiller game from the bar in Pittsburgh Sports & Outdoors
- updated a Pittsburgh Travel Page "My "O"riginal home town..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Brief History of The 'Burgh"
- Commented on one of Nomad_2001's Pittsburgh travel pages
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 23 reviews, 5 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 14 reviews, 3 photos
- Santa Cruz Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Paris Intro, 5 reviews
- Las Vegas Intro, 1 photo
Latest Pittsburgh hotel reviews
- Hilton Pittsburgh
- 534 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Hampton Inn Pittsburgh McKnight Road
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Doubletree Hotel Pittsburgh City Center
- 393 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Marriott Pittsburgh City Center
- 274 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Residence Inn Pittsburgh Oakland
- 112 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 17, 2013
- Comfort Inn Steubenville Pike
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- The Mansion at Maple Heights
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 21, 2013
- The Priory Hotel Pittsburgh
- 358 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Comfort Inn Pittsburgh North
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Carefree Inn Pittsburgh
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2013
- Quality Suites Pittsburgh
- 121 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 21, 2013
- Sunnyledge Boutique Hotel
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013
- Renaissance Pittsburgh
- 518 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Shadyside Inn
- 212 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Springhill Suites Pittsburgh Airport
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 2, 2013
- Carnegie Museum of Natural History- 15 Reviews, 45 Photos
- Duquesne Incline- 8 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Kennywood Amusement Park- 8 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Station Square- 7 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Mount Washington- 10 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Andy Warhol Museum- 14 Reviews, 31 Photos
- Strip District- 8 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Carnegie Science Center- 7 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Pittsburgh Plate Glass Place - PPG- 5 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Cathedral of Learning- 6 Reviews, 12 Photos
See All Pittsburgh Things to Do