"Mighty Triglav" Top 5 Page for this destination Triglav Nacionalni Park by FRONA
Triglav Nacionalni Park Travel Guide: 135 reviews and 413 photos
Mount Triglav is the highest peak in Slovenia and Julian Alps. Its name, "Three-headed", describes its shape as seen from the Bohinj valley.
At the top of the mountain is mounted Aljažev stolp (the Aljaž tower) which is a landmark of Slovenian territory and an important symbol of Slovenia.
The mountain was first ascended on August 26 1778 by Luka Korošec, Matija Kos, Štefan Rožiè and Lovrenc Willomitzer on Sigismund Zois's initiative.
Elevation: 2,864 metres (9,396 feet)
Range: Julian Alps
First ascent: 1778
Triglav ('three headed') is a complex god or gods in Slavic mythology, similar in nature to Trinity in Christianity. Often Triglav is the same deity as Troyan.
Triglav is a unity of three gods. The exact members of the trinity vary by place and time. Earlier Triglav included Svarog, Perun, and Dajbog. Later Dajbog was replaced by Svetovid or by Veles. Triglav is usually described as a fusion of these gods. More rarely he is their son. Triglav may also be a unity of lesser gods (Lesser Triglav). Usually each member of Triglav is a ruler of a single realm, such as heaven or the underworld.
In one of the legends Triglav is veiled completely, so holy that he cannot see the evil deeds of men. He rarely appears around mortals.
Triglav is depicted as a three-headed man sometimes with bands of (gold) blindfolds over his eyes, or a man with three goat heads. Several Triglav temples existed near Szczecin. During the Christianization the temples and statues of Triglav were destroyed.
What you are seing here is supposed to be a Thunderstrike Shelter (made from metal) that can house 4 people in need. I would call it Disco Inferno since it must be funky to sqeeze n freeze while the wind blows at 210 km an hour and lightning strikes every 2 minutes.
This is the view halfways climing to top of Triglav and the arrow is pointing at Hotel Kredarica, the hut closest to the top. Looks tiny. ha?
This is the view.... It was kinda creepy, this rocky world ..... When I was up on the top I had a feeling that the mountain was angry that so many people were up there and that we put spikes in it to facilitate our clime... I could almost feel HIS pride and anger... U truely must experience this mountain..
- Pros:It feels like a different planet up there
- Cons:Rain makes it impossible to walk over slippery rocks
- In a nutshell:A have to do in Slovenia
Before you begin, your climb, arm yourself with a copy of How to Climb Triglav, a superb booklet with a dozen of the... more travel advice
Ok, be prepared for no heating in the rooms, make sure you have a reservation and enough money caus it aint cheap.... more travel advice
FRONA's Related Pages
Triglav Nacionalni Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "VINTGAR GORGE"
- "Mighty Triglav"
- "Started in Ribcev Laz, on to Triglav"
- "A PLACE OF TRUE VERTICAL DIMENSIONS"
- "Triglav National Park"
- "TRIGLAVIAN DREAMS"
- "Triglav National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Triglav Nacionalni Park
- Hotels in Triglav Nacionalni Park
- Transportation in Triglav Nacionalni Park
- Nightlife in Triglav Nacionalni Park
- Restaurants in Triglav Nacionalni Park
- Shopping in Triglav Nacionalni Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Triglav Nacionalni Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Triglav Nacionalni Park
- 19 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Triglav Nacionalni Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Triglav Nacionalni Park
- Posted in Travel Moldova Forum "Re: Crossing from Moldova to..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Alpine Salamander is protected!"
- Wrote a Review Take your camera along + read a bit! in Triglav Nacionalni Park Off The Beaten Path
- updated a Triglav Nacionalni Park Travel Page "Mighty Triglav"
- Commented on one of coceng's Triglav Nacionalni Park travel pages
Photos in Triglav Nacionalni ParkSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 44 reviews, 51 photos
- Split Intro, 23 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Zagreb Intro, 22 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Triglav Nacionalni Park Intro, 19 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos
- Venice Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Austria Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Hurghada Intro, 7 reviews, 14 photos
- New York City Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos