"Turracher Hoeche" Austria by FRONA
Austria Travel Guide: 18,794 reviews and 50,614 photos
This is the biggest of the three famous lakes of Turracher Hoeche that likes in the middle of Nockberge national park.
Through its three lakes the landscape of the Turracher Höhe has an especially attractive ambience. These three clear waters, resting in a broad cup in the mountain, are a product of the Ice Age. A legend, however, tells of their creation somewhat differently, it is said that the Almighty shed three tears of joy after creating the Nockbergs with their rounded hilltops that He imbedded in the valleys, and these tears are now the lovely lakes on the Turrach.
In the heart of the alpine-meadow landscape lies the Turrach Lake which measures 18.3 hectares and is as much as 33m deep. The border between the provinces of Carinthia and Styria crosses the lake at its widest point. The lake can be easily walked around in half an hour. About 300m to the east of the lake lies the Schwarz Lake which comprises two hectares and is as much as 4m deep. It is bordered on two sides by high moors, it takes its name from the clear water that reveals its bed of black peat.
That little smudge in the middle of the pic is a Rainbow!
The famous 3 lakes tour takes you from Turrach Lake to Green Lake and then to Black lake.
About 1km to the south-east of the Turrach Lake, and just below the Schoberriegel, lies the Grün Lake, which measures only 1.5 hectares, but is as much as 12m deep. Its name is due to the green chandelier algae (Charales), which covers most of its bed and can be seen almost everywhere through the clear water.
- Pros:Beautful Nature, nice escape from hot summers
- Cons:Crowded hikes
- In a nutshell:One of my favorite escapes
“The most mankind can achieve is to be amazed” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe The Gogers hotel invites you to be... more travel advice
Black LAKE About 300m to the east of the tURRACH lake lies the Schwarz Lake which comprises two hectares and is as much... more travel advice
FRONA's Related Pages
Austria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Austria - Where to go and what to do !"
- "Classy Austria"
- "Paul2001's Austria Page"
- "4 Visits and 1 conclusion... Stunning!!"
- "VT meeting in Pisa"
- "Country of mountains, country of streams..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Austria
- Hotels in Austria
- Transportation in Austria
- Nightlife in Austria
- Restaurants in Austria
- Shopping in Austria
- Warnings and Dangers in Austria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Austria
- 54 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Austria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Austria
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 44 reviews, 51 photos
- Split Intro, 23 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Zagreb Intro, 22 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Triglav Nacionalni Park Intro, 19 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos
- Venice Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Austria Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Hurghada Intro, 7 reviews, 14 photos
- New York City Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (23)
Top Austria hotels
- Vienna Hotels
- 7358 Reviews - 18228 Photos
- Salzburg Hotels
- 2579 Reviews - 5926 Photos
- Innsbruck Hotels
- 1140 Reviews - 2562 Photos
- Zell am See Hotels
- 112 Reviews - 442 Photos
- Hintersteiner See Hotels
- 22 Reviews - 24 Photos
- Linz Hotels
- 142 Reviews - 452 Photos
- Kitzbühel Hotels
- 63 Reviews - 225 Photos
- Baden Hotels
- 105 Reviews - 211 Photos
- Hallstatt Hotels
- 213 Reviews - 680 Photos
- Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut Hotels
- 140 Reviews - 326 Photos
- Gmunden Hotels
- 45 Reviews - 113 Photos
- Söll Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 72 Photos
- Seefeld Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 9 Photos
- Villach Hotels
- 75 Reviews - 242 Photos
- Sankt Johann in Tirol Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 70 Photos