"NIS" Nis by Prasnjavi
Nis Travel Guide: 181 reviews and 459 photos
Gate of East and West
Two Nis' monuments deposing about courage and suffering of Serbian nation during Turks-Serbs wars. One of them was erected by Serbs in the honour of heroic downfall of resava Duke Stevan Sindjelic and other was built by Turks to frighten Serbs and hinder their resistance to the Otoman Empire.
I am talking abot Cegar and Cele-kula.
Impressive monument on Cegar was erected on 1st June 1927 in a memory of the glorious fight on this hill when Stevan Sindjelic shoot in the barrel full of gunpowder and killed a lot of Turks, unfortunately and himself and his soldiers. The city authorities planed to adjust the complex and make it tourist attraction.
The plan was made by Mr. Misa Rakojica, the Historian of Arts. In the first phase, which already started, it is planned reconstruction of Saint Petka Church, hidden in the forest, 300 m far from the monument. In that church, just before the battle, Duke Sindjelic and his heroes took the sacrament. After the reconstruction of the church it is planned building of stairs which will connect the church and the monument. In the third phase, it is planned building of copies of battle dugouts. The project also includes museum, souvenir shop, etc.
There are lot of stories about Nis and this is the one of them.
This page was made with a big help of Ana (Manchi)
Prasnjavi's Related Pages
Nis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "N I Š"
- "Nis - Serbian metropolis on the Balkan trade roads"
- "Home is where the heart is"
- "A Foray into Serbia"
- "GRAD NIS"
- "A peaceful town"
- "Naissus - The Town of Nymphs"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nis
- Hotels in Nis
- Transportation in Nis
- Nightlife in Nis
- Restaurants in Nis
- Shopping in Nis
- Warnings and Dangers in Nis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nis
- 23 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Nis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nis
Photos in NisSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgrade Intro, 322 reviews, 354 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Serbia Intro, 172 reviews, 175 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 53 reviews, 83 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mostar Intro, 61 reviews, 66 photos
- Bijeljina Intro, 39 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zagreb Intro, 47 reviews, 48 photos
- Korcula Intro, 47 reviews, 47 photos
- Europe Intro, 44 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sremski Karlovci Intro, 37 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jahorina Intro, 24 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue