Mostar Things to Do Tips by Prasnjavi Top 5 Page for this destination
Mostar Things to Do: 284 reviews and 606 photos
Complex of the old houses which Velagic family ownes, built in the 17th century, is the one of the most beautiful monuments of oriental architecture in Herzegovina. In a special ambient , the complex represents extraordinary structure of architecture of living, which respects the tradition of that ancient time.
Reconstruction of the Old Bridge thanks God, started two years ago and it will be finished in 2004. Some of the parts were found in Neretva and some will be make new.
For a first time, the Bridge will be reconstructed and that the towers. From the Auxiliary bridge you can watch hard work on reconstruction.
The reconstruction is finished as you can see on my pictures.
As we didn't find rooms in Mostar, we had to stay in Medjugorje for some meeting in Mostar. But it was OK because it is not too far from Mostar. Just 30 km. And it was the great experience for me to see the place where the Blessed Virgin Mary appeared in 1981, even if my religion doesn't recognize it. Millions of people, from all over the world, have visited Medjugorje and have left spiritually strengthened and renewed.
On the Neretva's left river bank, 50 meters northerly of Kujundziluk, Koski-Mehmed Pasha built a mosque in 1617. Koskin-Mehmed Pasha's mosque has nice doom and it's the single one mosque in Mostar with preserved original wall paint and decorations. In spite of protection under UNESCO, in 1993 its minaret is demolished while court-yard and doom are partly damaged. Today, it s almost all repaired. Entrance is free.
A view from the east bank
The Lucki Bridge, "the closest southern neighbor" of the Old Bridge was built in 1900. Destroyed in this war, it has not been reconstructed yet.
One more building from Austro-Hungarian time is hotel "Neretva". It is situated on east bank of the same-name river, just across hotel "Bristol". Unfortunately this master-piece of Austro-Hungarian architecture is destroyed in last war and it is not renovated yet.
Santiceva Ulica (Santic Street) is location where the worst battle took place. There is still lot of ruins in it. It was separation line between east (Muslim's) and west (Croat's) part of Mostar.
In front of entrance
Catholics Monastery of Saint Peter and Paul is located in south part of the west Mostar. The bell tower is dominated building in Mostar. Almost from every part of the city, including the east side, you can see the bell tower. I don't from which time is dated, but it looks brand new. Maybe it is new or it's renovated.
A view from my car
Buildings from Austro-Hungarian period give special charm to architectonic wealth of Mostar. In 1878 Bosnia and Herzegovina was annexed to Austro-Hungarian empire. There is a whole range of interesting buildings from that time.
One of them is the Old Gymnasium situated on Spanish Square, just by separation line from the last war. It was built in 1898 according to outline scheme of architect Blazek, with facade rich in Moresque elements. The Gymnasium was destroyed in last war but is still looks nice.
Address: Spanish Square, west Mostar
Croat House "Herceg Stjepan Kosaca"
The place where most of cultural events take place in western Mostar is Hrvatski Dom "Herceg Stjepan Kosaca" (Croat House). Almost every day there are some galleries, music performances or literal evenings.
More Reviews (35)
- See All The city cafe
- See All In Medjugorje
- See All In Medjugorje
- See All Bruce Lee
- See All Short history
- See All Local crafts 2
Prasnjavi's Related Pages
Mostar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mostar - Bosnia and Herzegovina"
- "The heart of Herzegovina"
- "Mostar - A bridge between east and west"
- "Healing in Mostar"
- "Mostar, the pearl of Herzegovina"
- "Ancient Mostar"
- "Mostar pilgimage"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mostar
- Hotels in Mostar
- Transportation in Mostar
- Nightlife in Mostar
- Restaurants in Mostar
- Shopping in Mostar
- Warnings and Dangers in Mostar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mostar
- 61 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 37 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Mostar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mostar
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgrade Intro, 322 reviews, 354 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Serbia Intro, 172 reviews, 175 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 53 reviews, 83 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mostar Intro, 61 reviews, 66 photos
- Bijeljina Intro, 39 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zagreb Intro, 47 reviews, 48 photos
- Korcula Intro, 47 reviews, 47 photos
- Europe Intro, 44 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jahorina Intro, 24 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sremski Karlovci Intro, 37 reviews, 46 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (89)
- Old Bridge - Stari Most- 37 Reviews, 86 Photos
- Koski Mehmed Pasha Mosque- 16 Reviews, 42 Photos
- Turkish House- 13 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Crooked Bridge - Kriva Cuprija- 10 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Kujundziluk- 9 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Old Town- 13 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Karadjoz Bey Mosque- 6 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Neretva River- 10 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Karadozbegova Mosque- 5 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Radobolja River- 2 Reviews, 5 Photos