New York City Things to Do Tips by BeatChick
New York City Things to Do: 5,440 reviews and 8,942 photos
Megs deigned to let me look around in an art gallery (William Bennett) in SoHo for 20 minutes where they are doing a retrospective of Picasso, Joan Miro (the dude who did the huge blue whimsical curved mural in our Cincinnati Art Museum), Marc Chagall, Salvador Dali, Matisse. LOVELY - some of my favorite artists. Saw some works by Dali for as little as $1,450 and some by Matisse for as much as $48,000! I love art galleries; not nearly as overwhelming as some art museums can be, plus they've a smaller focus. Told the proprietor at the gallery that I don't really care for Picasso but that I LOVE Chagall, perhaps it has something to do with his blues (my favorite color). He asked me if I'd heard the saying that "God gave yellow to Van Gogh, red to Matisse, and blue to Chagall". Cool.
While at La Bergamote, we met a lady who strongly suggested a visit to the beautiful gardens of the General Theological Seminary of the Episcopal Church. They are beautiful indeed and peaceful to boot; one of the buildings is the Bishop Desmond Tutu Center. Apparently, Clement C. Moore (who authored "'Twas the Night before Christmas") donated the grounds which fills the entire block. How ironic that a man who supported evangelical causes should also popularize Santa Claus (the very notion damned in some churches as taking away the true meaning of Christmas). To get inside you walk halfway down the block (21st street between 9th & 10th avenues), find an iron gate, ring the bell, and let them know you'd like to visit the grounds. The cloistered surroundings remind me of the gated area in Notting Hill.
Oh, and Ian was excited to see the Met Life building down Park Ave. Apparently, the Grand Theft Auto games are set in New York but aren't allowed by the city to identify it as such. They get around that by renaming things, such as this building which is known as the "Get Life" building. And yup, according to my son, it looks just like the game!
More Reviews (31)
BeatChick's Related Pages
New York City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A NYC GYPSY AT HEART"
- "NYC: Everyday, Something new."
- "I Heart New York."
- ""I want to be a part of it ...""
- ". : New York City : ."
- "New York City"
- "I loved it - and I don't even like apples!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New York City
- Hotels in New York City
- Transportation in New York City
- Nightlife in New York City
- Restaurants in New York City
- Shopping in New York City
- Warnings and Dangers in New York City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New York City
- 34 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to New York City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New York City
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 377 reviews, 1289 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 135 reviews, 589 photos, 8 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 65 reviews, 290 photos, 6 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 29 reviews, 130 photos, 6 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos
- Illinois Intro, 80 photos, 10 travelogues
- Saint Louis Intro, 10 reviews, 36 photos
- Chartres Intro, 4 reviews, 16 photos
- Kentucky Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Martin Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (85)
- Times Square- 267 Reviews, 412 Photos
- Central Park- 401 Reviews, 720 Photos
- Empire State Building- 369 Reviews, 603 Photos
- Statue of Liberty - Ellis Island- 404 Reviews, 641 Photos
- Rockefeller Center- 211 Reviews, 362 Photos
- South Street Seaport- 68 Reviews, 98 Photos
- Wall Street- 139 Reviews, 237 Photos
- Chinatown- 103 Reviews, 139 Photos
- Ground Zero - World Trade Center- 152 Reviews, 278 Photos
- Brooklyn Bridge- 183 Reviews, 321 Photos
See All New York City Things to Do