"Derby Day - Kentucky Derby - May 2, 2009" Louisville by BeatChick

Louisville Travel Guide: 374 reviews and 546 photos

My Most Recent Visit Was for Derby Day!!

I drove down this past May to visit with my cousin, Mischa, so we could PARTAY at Derby Day at Churchill Downs. We had access to the Derby Day Infield Club which includes the all-important access to the track - wooties!

If you check out my videos I have a one of my cuz and of this dude named Johnny from Little Rock, AK. LOL - I thought I was taking a PHOTO of them but it turned out to be video instead. OMG, we were so smashed! Had tons of fun, though, and won a bit o' dough! It's always lovely to head out of town with more money than you brought in. As I rarely gamble, my winnings must be attributed to newbie luck. ;)

My First Visit to Louisville. . .

. . . was many, many moons ago when Mr. Connolly and I were first courting (must've been 1991 or so). His sister, Cindy, lived there and we showed up for a visit.

I recall Mr. Connolly regaling me with stories of the famous (infamous?) Burgoo at the bar, Rudyard Kipling. According to him, it was a mishmash of meat and vegetables, very spicy, and rumored to have squirrel meat in it (and that's Kentucky for you - why not, By God?!?).

I tried it and fell in love with it (much like I fell for Mr. Connolly, Irish rogue that he is): potatoes, carrots, onions, tender meat in a tomato-based super spicy broth (is that Tabasco I detect?). Delish!

• Last visit to Louisville: May 2009
  • Intro Updated Jun 23, 2009

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2009 at 4:46 AM

Smashed, were you? Now I know why we don't have more pics and tips here. :-)

BeatChick Visits Here Frequently!

BeatChick

“Love Ireland!”

Badges & Stats in Louisville

Have you been to Louisville?

Latest Activity in Louisville