"Perambulations in Paris!" Top 5 Page for this destination Paris by BeatChick

Paris Travel Guide: 22,628 reviews and 55,551 photos

Paris ~ C'est Tres Jolie!

I am OBSESSED with Paris - I don't know why, maybe it's because most of my ancestry is French (excepting my Oglala Sioux heritage) - but I'm always trying to figure out a way to get back!
~~~

I'M BACK FROM PARIS!!

This was my 6th trip to Paris - this time with my son! It was a whirlwind 7-hour jaunt through the City of Light alighting at the Cité Metro station, a gander at the bird market, a pop around the corner then to see the Palais de Justice (with a large trompe l'oeil drop cloth - guess they must be doing some work on the building), and then to Notre Dame, brunch at Café Marly at the Louvre, off to take pics of the Obelisque at Place de la Concorde then on to MY 1st visit to see Monet's famous Water Lilies at the Musée de l'Orangerie followed by a late lunch at Angélina - surely some of the best of central Paris!!

During my 5th trip to the CITY OF LIGHT I stayed 10 days! This was my 2nd research trip for a book I'm finishing up of walking itineraries covering film sites in Paris (see my pbase.com site for photos I took last trip of various film spots).

I arrived in Paris Friday afternoon after a long flight delay, Nov 9th and returned Sunday, Nov 18th. This hapless tourist & intrepid writer SURVIVED (just barely) the transit strikes (which hit in the middle of the trip). I sojourned at the Port-Royal Hôtel on the boulevard Port-Royal, located at the edge of the 5th/13th arrondissements.

~~~

The previous trip was a glorious February jaunt to Paris for 16 days. I was there during the soldes season & took advantage of the sale by doing more shopping then I'd done the 3 previous trips combined. My first trip I stayed 2 days in Paris, the 2nd trip was 4 days, the 3rd trip was 9 days; 4th trip was 16 days and with the 5th trip of 10 days I now have a combined total now of 41 days, over a full month! Nice. :D

I've said before:
It's not how much time you spend in Paris that counts, it's what you DO with your time. And as you can see by my tips on Paris & photos on pbase.com, I tromp ALL OVER Paris!

Except for new tips, I've arranged tips to reflect grouping by arrondissement & listed each to show the order in which I saw them. For those tips that have multiple locations, those are listed before everything else.

I'M COMPLETELY FINISHED WITH TIPS FOR:
HOTELS
NIGHTLIFE
RESTAURANTS
SHOPPING

~ ~ ~

If you're curious to read my original trip report that inspired many of my Paris tips (and I haven't even gotten started on my 1st 2 trips), you'll find it on Fodor's website where I am a regular contributor (I once posted as MaryC and now post as, of course, beatchick).

*Thank you, Vincent, for the correction to the photo title!!

I LOVE Paris!

Paris is in my blood, Paris is me. If I believed in reincarnation I'd swear I lived there as an ex-pat in the '20s because that is the era that draws me. Paris feels like home.

Paris has everything you could ever want: wonderful food (from a humble satisfying delicious $3 limon sucré crêpe bought from a street vendor to a $400 meal at one of the hallowed gastronomic temples such as Taillevent), great little charming budget hotels, secret nooks & crannies, green pockets of interesting squares/parcs/places, the hidden courtyards, the rumored underground passageways, the hidden off-limit paths of the Catacombs.

It's also full of art & architecture. Where else can you ride the bus, peer over a wall and discover Rodin's The Thinker? Or his Balzac in the midst of traffic? Any architectural student would want to come here to see the blaze of styles that span from Gallo-Roman times (Arenes de Lutece, Roman baths at the Musée de Cluny) to present ultra-modern architecture (La Defense). This city loves to retain and maintain its history.

No other city is more artfully arranged!

The Lovely Quartier Latin!

Turn LEFT on Rue Galande to follow Jesse & Céline's route through Before Sunset!! Click HERE to start Celine & Jesse's journey through Paris.

And then we must speak of radiant vistas seen from stairs that are actual streets in places like Montmartre or the Butte aux Cailles. The discoveries are neverending!

I've been to Paris 5 times and haven't even begun to put a dent into all the things I want to see: parcs, jardins, squares, places, Viaduc des Arts, inside the grands magasins Galeries Lafayette or Printemps (although I've shopped at the vendors outside). Can you believe I still haven't been to the famous cafés such as La Rotonde, Le Select, Le Procope? Ah, and the tea salons and the historic bistros to try. With each trip the list grows. So much to see, so much to do, so much to BE.

In 2004 I made reservations to Paris via Air France; the lady taking the call remarked with glee that I was going to Paris! I asked her if she liked it. Mais oui ~
PARIS IS PARIS!

• Pros:Everything - the sights, sounds, smells, tastes, feel.
  • Cons:I don't live there. :0(
  • In a nutshell:PARIS: food, ambience, art, architecture, views, history & mystery!
  • Last visit to Paris: Apr 2010
  • Intro Updated Dec 23, 2010

• Jun 18, 2013 at 8:43 AM

This is wonderful. We've been to Paris many times but these tips lead to many things we've not seen/done before. I think our son (then about 7, after his first day in Paris) stated your "con" in: "I want to die in Paris."

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Thanks for your comprehensive page full of your precious observations and excellent photographs! It's a great virtual tour of Paris!

• HRGafford's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Hey BC-
    I LOVE YOUR PARIS PAGE! I've been looking at tips all day...and to be honest, my head is tired and I can't pull the trigger on a hotel. We are two newlyweds who had to postpone the honeymoon until the 1st anniversary. The trip ends in Paris for 4 nights, and we want a great, safe location, close to metro and great cafes, on a 75-100 euro/night budget. So here's the question...where would YOU stay???

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2011 at 2:47 AM

It's been a long time since I commented on your Paris page. How are you? I am back in Paris for the 6th time. Checked out Angelina's website and thought it was interesting that the same group who owns Angelina's owns Quick. Must go for chocolate.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Hi Mary. In Sacramento they leave lost items in obvious places so they can be found. Perhaps we're a little bit of Paris in America. ;^)

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2011 at 2:44 AM

I hope to visit Paris soon. Ciao!

• Apr 28, 2010 at 6:49 PM

COULD i ORDER SOME OF THE HOT CHOCOLAT. JCPSTRAW@YAHOO.COM tHANK YOU

• Chris_66's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2009 at 6:32 AM

The hotel Quai Voltaire has undertaken some serious renovations. I have been there lately and it was very pleasant. Still a 2 star hotel but the view from the room is just unbelievable, the Louvre, Notre Dame, the Seine, Tuileries.

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2009 at 2:58 AM

I just might wait to have your book in hand before I visit Paris! Just great photos/detail. Will be back to finsh my delux tour here. Ciao bella, Carol

• Oct 2, 2009 at 7:19 AM

Hi Mary, That was a lot of stuff you have written on the hotel in Paris including the Le Village hostel. I have been to Paris before ( meeting trips) and thank you for all the details. TAMOJIT

BeatChick Visits Here Frequently!

BeatChick