"CASTELLONORATO, A SUBURB OF FORMIA" Formia by vitruvius

Formia Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 67 photos

Though I was born in Formia, to be exact Castellonorato, a medieval castle on a hill overlooking th elower lazio region, I have been living in the Boston area since 1966. I suppose that makes me an American. I love my hometown and the castle where I was born. Castellonorato was bombed heavily during WWII but you can still make out the medieval tower and the gate. In the distance you can see the Redentore peak. A staute of Christ the Reedemer was placed there to commemorate the cominng of the 20th century

GATE TO CASTLE

For centuries this gate has been the main entrance to the castle. Though there is one more entrance at the other end of the castle, this is the one most use. Even on very hot days one can enter tthrought the gate and be greated by a very cool breeze. The difference in temperature between outtside and inside the gate is very dramatic, it can be compared to entering an air conditioned place after being in the heat for a while ( and that is no exageration).

• Last visit to Formia: May 2000
  • Intro Written Jun 17, 2003

• Jul 16, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Hi. You must live in Waltham? My grandmother grew up in Castelonorato, and I have cousins still there. I love it there. We're probably related! I live in California.

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2003 at 2:58 PM

What a wonderful photo of your home town, a place that I admire so much. Please find more photos to share and if you know the real story about the golden armour I for one would love to hear it. Thank you for this great page.

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.