"Historical city on Olza" Cieszyn by Jarin
Cieszyn Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 15 photos
Cieszyn, is a historical city with the medieval street layout and its picturesque old town square with buildings dating to 15th-19th centuries. Till 1919 was the city ruled by Piast dukes and Habsburg family. In 1920 the town of Cieszyn was divided in two parts: right bank of the Olza River remained Cieszyn (Polish) and the left bank was named Cesky Tesin (Czech Cieszyn). Most of the historical buildings are on the right bank, so on the Polish side. The city was founded according to a legend beginning of 9th century, but an archaeological research on the Castle Hill points to an even earlier settlement, around 500 B.C.
Not only the monuments are worth to see, but the city is known by Czechs as a cheap place for food, vegetables, fruits and other products, which you can buy on the street markets, which are held everyday except on Sunday. With nice weather you can enjoy some refreshment on a terrace.
This is the centre of the town with houses dating from 15th till 19th century. more travel advice
This ghotical church (Kosciól Marii Magdaleny) grounded by family Piast in 13th century and was meant as last resting... more travel advice
Jarin's Related Pages
Cieszyn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historical city on Olza"
- "Cieszyn - Poland (a quick walking trip)"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cieszyn
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Cieszyn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cieszyn
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 85 reviews, 113 photos, 3 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 27 reviews, 25 photos
- Sri Lanka Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kandy Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla Margarita Intro, 9 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Colombo Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Blansko Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Czech Republic Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Cieszyn Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Giverny Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos