Sheffield Transportation Tips by Arm-Chair-Hero Top 5 Page for this destination
Sheffield Transportation: 17 reviews and 14 photos
Sheffield used to be well known for its cheap bus prices...2p a ticket not so long ago, but all that has changed. Now the public transport is quite expensive especially if there is more than one person. If it is a short journey for example from the edge of the city then into the center on a night out then the best way to travell is by taxi...for more than one person it will work out roughly the same price as taking the bus but with the added benifit of comfort and door to door service.
There are two types of taxis in Sheffield, black cabs and private hire...black cabs you can flag down in the street with out any problem....private hire you are supposed to book an appointment first. There are plenty of both taxis so catching either is not a problem.
There is a train station ( Midland Station ) in the middle of the city center that has regular services to London, Manchester Airport and near by cities and towns.
Beware if you decide to cycle here...there are cycle lanes but most get abused by cars, and like most cities there are alot of cars here.
Walking is great but be prepared for hills.
On a whole all the services are quite good and do have a large range. You will be able to go where you want at nearly the exact time you want. I believe the bus service is doing a route that goes into the Peak District that allows you to take bicycles on board the bus, this must be an excellent service and is well worth taking advantage of.
There is a small airport here but I think it is just about all closed up... not many destinations to go to and not many arrivals.
More Reviews (33)
- See All Gas guzzler
- Changing Sheffield
- See All The Blades
- See All Matlock Bath And Food
- See All After The Pub........
- See All Waterin hole
Arm-Chair-Hero's Related Pages
Sheffield Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sheffield, It's not so grim Ooop North!"
- "Sheffield "More than just a city of steel""
- "Sunny Sheffield"
- "Sheffield, South Yorkshire"
- "The Socialist republic of South Yorkshire."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sheffield
- Hotels in Sheffield
- Transportation in Sheffield
- Nightlife in Sheffield
- Restaurants in Sheffield
- Shopping in Sheffield
- Warnings and Dangers in Sheffield
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sheffield
- 34 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 38 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Sheffield?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sheffield
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 34 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- France Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 23 photos
- Taiwan Intro, 14 reviews, 14 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakewell Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Coniston Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Geneva Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windermere Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Whitehaven Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
- Maryport Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
FriendsSee All Friends (29)
- Peace Gardens- 5 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Cholera Monument- 3 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Matlock Bath- 4 Reviews, 4 Photos
- City Hall- 4 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Meadowhall Shopping Centre- 5 Reviews, 4 Photos
- Winter Garden- 5 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Connisboro Castle- 2 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Millennium Square- 2 Reviews, 4 Photos
- Crucible Theatre- 2 Reviews, 6 Photos
- Cathedral- 2 Reviews, 10 Photos
See All Sheffield Things to Do