"Easygoing Capital" Top 5 Page for this destination Ljubljana by Zo72
Ljubljana Travel Guide: 2,096 reviews and 4,978 photos
In 1999 I have moved to Ljubljana from Zagreb. Meanwhile I have visited some other places and I have also spent almost a year living in Vienna. This gives me a good chance to compare these places and to see differences between them. Therefore I don't think I'm biased when I say Ljubljana is a great town, a good place to visit and also to live. Come to Ljubljana to feel the city, come to Ljubljana to meet the friends, use Ljubljana as a starting point to visit some other places and you won't be dissapointed. It is affordable and it is great!
When visiting Ljubljana don't expect to find biiig European capital full of great breathtaking buildings, large parks and famous works of arts. For that you'll just have to visit cities like Venice or Vienna. Though Ljubljana doesn't have anything that is really unique, it is certainly uniqe as whole. Enjoy promenades near Ljubljnica river. Almost all restaurants serve good food and prices are always low. Do not fear people, almost anybody speaks English and young people are very likely to become your friends if you approach them with ease and start most normal conversation. Also nobody is interested in politics, here.
There is a hill with Ljubljana castle situated in the city centre and narrow river Ljubljanica is slowly circulating around it. Old city centre is situated below this hill on the banks of Ljubljanica river. Focus of the city is Preseren square with 3 bridges (Tromostovje). There is a good tourist information office there where you can take supply of free brochures and maps. From there walk Stritarjeva street to reach old Ljubljana and Ljubljana castle, Copova street to reach Tivoli park and Miklosiceva to reach railway and bus stations. But to really enjoy Ljubljana walk Ljubljanica river banks in the evening, listen to street music, sit in one of numerous restaurants and enjoy relaxed atmosphere.
Ljubljana is a good starting point for daily trips to destinations within Slovenia. Visit natural places like Bohinj lake, Postojna and Skocjan caves, Kamniska bistrica, Iski vintgar and Soca river, towns like Piran, Maribor and Ptuj... There are numerous mountains you can reach from Ljubljana and I warmly recommend them becase it is simply best thing you can do (but don't forget to bring good hiking shoes and if you don't have them you can buy good ones in Slovenia).
You can reach many interesting places in neighbouring countries also on a daily basis, like Trieste and Venice in Italy, Klagenfurt and Graz in Austria and Zagreb, Rijeka, Istra peninsula and Krk island in Croatia. Not to forget that it is only 400 km away from Munich and Vienna and that there is beautiful Croatian coast with over 1000 islands just across the border.
- Pros:Beautiful, affordable, nice
- Cons:Not yet discovered
- In a nutshell:A place you will keep returning to after you visit it!
Ljubljana castle and paths to the castle offer very beautiful sights of Ljubljana. This photo presents one of them with... more travel advice
Church of St. John the Baptist was first built in 18th century but it was reconstructed in late 19th century. Bridge in... more travel advice
- BTC - the largest shopping area in...
- See All Car in Ljubljana
- See All Great cuisine in the city centre
- Common precautions
- See All Pub with massive raw wood in old...
Zo72's Related Pages
Ljubljana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ljubljana - Relaxing capital city"
- "MY HOMETOWN"
- "Easygoing Capital"
- "Ljubljana and its surroundings"
- "Ljubljana, another well kept secret"
- "Ljubljana - more european than you can imagine"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ljubljana
- Hotels in Ljubljana
- Transportation in Ljubljana
- Nightlife in Ljubljana
- Restaurants in Ljubljana
- Shopping in Ljubljana
- Warnings and Dangers in Ljubljana
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ljubljana
- 58 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 71 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Ljubljana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ljubljana
- Posted in Travel Thailand Forum "Accommodation in December in..."
- Commented on one of HORSCHECK's Ljubljana travel pages
- Wrote a Review BTC - the largest shopping area in Slovenia about BTC City in Ljubljana Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ljubljanski grad - castle"
- updated a Ljubljana Travel Page "Easygoing Capital"
Photos in LjubljanaSee All Photos (75)
Top 5 Pages
- Lviv Intro, 43 reviews, 98 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ljubljana Intro, 58 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lasko Intro, 37 reviews, 65 photos, 4 travelogues
- Slovenia Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos