"Really Explore Puerto Vallarta" Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Vallarta by mjd74

Puerto Vallarta Travel Guide: 1,137 reviews and 1,983 photos

Let the Adventure Begin

Puerto Vallarta, is an amazing place that allows you to dive right into the local culture without having to go very far outside of the city.

I actually had the pleasure of living in Puerto Vallarta so it has allowed me to get to see many of the unique places that only Vallarta has to offer. I in turn am giving you the local secrets that the one time traveler to Vallarta would have great difficulty stumbling upon.

I see that a lot of people have concentrated on the touristy stuff, so I have decided to dedicate myself to the out-of-the-way/bizarre things that I know a true adventure traveler will enjoy.

I will highly suggest the following:

-Go to El Tuito
My travelogue is a guide to a days adventure in the quaint little village

-Avoid Yelapa
This tourist trap makes me physically ill when thinking about it. Anyone with half a brain will realize that going to Yelapa is like traveling to another hotel only to get wasted. The journey is fun, but the place is awful. If you are going to go there I suggest you go for the real adventure… drive there.
Yelapa is cool because of two things.
1 you have to pay in order to go there
2 it is crawling with drug addicts. Don’t believe me; go there I will bet you within 5 feet of getting off of your boat you get hassled by someone with a time-share type personality trying to sell you weed.

• Pros:tons of culture and activities
  • Cons:drunk gringo's
  • In a nutshell:Although touristy, you can still dive into the local culture
  • Intro Updated Sep 8, 2003

• Aug 8, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Do we need to get permission to visit the orphanage while we are visiting for the day?

• jaichi's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2010 at 6:28 AM

I'm going to check out the Flores Magon Orphanage if I can. Thanks for a great tip. Also, I agree about Palomar de los Gonzales restaurant! Great place. Nice people.

• Jan 7, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Well.....for a man whose been to Yelapa 3 times......you must know by now that it is not an island, no?

• Nov 26, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Hi; well I'm from puerto vallarta, but I'm been living in california for about 20 years, try Avis or other american companys, That's what I do, twice a year when I go on vacations, I go there to get the stress out, not to stress out.

• Sep 21, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Hi, I will go to Puerto Vallarta in Nov, and I would like to visit this place.. I collect clothing and toys.. do you think they will take them?? I would love to help them with whatever needs to be done. do you have the full address? Thank you, Lilia

• Ames24's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Thank-you so much for your detailed El Tuito page! I so want to visit this place!

• Dec 7, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Thank you so much for submitting this information! My husband &I are going with another couple in a couple days, & we were hoping to find something like this, so that we could make this trip not only about ourselves, but also loving on the people there.

• anchornm's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2008 at 10:59 AM

I went to see the Faith Healer on November 18th, 2008 -- The neighbors say he died last year of a heart attack.

• Aug 27, 2008 at 5:56 PM

If you go to ElTuito, ask the locals to direct you to the lady's house who makes cheese. For $5 she will invite you into her home, to her kitchen, where she will pack you up a huge block of cheese that she makes. Out of this world!

• shelly10983's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2007 at 5:54 AM

just making sure. is 259 Argentina, Caupinoli the man's address?? What is his name?

mjd74

“leave no stone unturned”

Badges & Stats in Puerto Vallarta

Have you been to Puerto Vallarta?