"A little bit of Spain in Northern Africa" Melilla by Ilya_Andriy
Melilla Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 116 photos
For centuries the city of Melilla has been an outpost of Spain because of its strategic location on the peninsula of Tres Forcas on Africa's Mediterranean coast. In ancient times the city was occupied by Phoenicians and Carthaginians before it was integrated into the Roman Empire in the first century. When the Moors conquered Spain, Melilla became part of the Caliphate of Cordoba and later reverted to the kingdom of Fes. Melilla declined in the Middle Ages, becoming a refuge for pirates, until it was conquered by the Catholic Kings at the end of the fifteenth century, and it has remained Spanish since then (1497). Subsequent monarchs repopulated and fortified the city, and in the eighteenth century Melilla was further secured by numerous fortresses that still ring the city.
Melilla is one of the two spanish cities (the other one is Ceuta) in northern africa.
The lastest way for arriving Melilla is crossing the border from Morocco as moroccan workers and merchants do. You can... more travel advice
The fastest way for arriving Melilla is taking a plane in the Peninsula. There are daily flights from Madrid (3 daily... more travel advice
Ilya_Andriy's Related Pages
Melilla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MELILLA,SPAIN, AFRICA"
- "A little bit of Spain in Northern Africa"
- "The First VT page about Melilla!"
- "Melilla - A little piece of Spain in Africa"
- "Islas Chafarinas"
- "Short and sweet visit of Melilla"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Melilla
- Hotels in Melilla
- Transportation in Melilla
- Nightlife in Melilla
- Restaurants in Melilla
- Shopping in Melilla
- Warnings and Dangers in Melilla
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Melilla
- 14 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Melilla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Melilla
- Posted in Travel Kaiserslautern Forum "How to arrive from Frankfurt??"
- updated a Melilla Travel Page "A little bit of Spain in Northern Africa"
- Wrote a Review Crossing the border in Melilla Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ferrys from mainland Spain"
- Commented on one of jlvillalba's Melilla travel pages
Photos in MelillaSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Melilla Intro, 14 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kamchatskaya Oblast' Intro, 4 reviews, 23 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ceuta Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Equatorial Guinea Intro, 9 reviews, 6 photos
- Ciudad de Malabo Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bata Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Isla de Corisco Intro, 1 review, 3 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nazerat `Illit Intro, 2 photos
- Nuku Hiva Intro, 1 photo
- Ciudad de Ela Nguema Intro, 1 photo