"Malabo" Ciudad de Malabo by Ilya_Andriy
Ciudad de Malabo Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 8 photos
Malabo was founded on 1827 by English Captain Fitz Willian Owen as Port Clarence, or Clarencetown and was used until the early 1840s as a base for suppressing the slave trade and later.
Renamed Santa Isabel in honor to Queen Elizabeth, on 1843 (March 6th), the Spaniards take the city possession by means of King's Commissioner, Juán Jose Lerena Barry, Frigate Captain, to make the sovereignty effective and to defend the Spanish rights on the Territories of Guinea.
It later became the capital of Spanish Guinea and subsequently of the Spanish overseas province of Fernando Póo.
The city was made the capital of newly independent Equatorial Guinea in 1968. Its present name was adopted in 1973.
Malabo is a little city situated on a natural crater shaped harbor at the base of Pico Basilé in a volcanic zone with a fantastic view.
The city itself is rather picturesque and is plenty of graceful Spanish colonial buildings and has attractive views across the harbor.
Tourists are a novelty in the capital but foreigners are not because of the strong presence of American oil workers.
Malabo has several good restaurants, and perhaps the most famous is Restaurante Mesa Verde overlooking the harbor. With... more travel advice
Ilya_Andriy's Related Pages
Ciudad de Malabo Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Ciudad de Malabo
- Restaurants in Ciudad de Malabo
- Warnings and Dangers in Ciudad de Malabo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ciudad de Malabo
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Ciudad de Malabo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ciudad de Malabo
Photos in Ciudad de MalaboSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Melilla Intro, 14 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kamchatskaya Oblast' Intro, 4 reviews, 23 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ceuta Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Equatorial Guinea Intro, 9 reviews, 6 photos
- Ciudad de Malabo Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bata Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Isla de Corisco Intro, 1 review, 3 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nazerat `Illit Intro, 2 photos
- Nuku Hiva Intro, 1 photo
- Ciudad de Ela Nguema Intro, 1 photo