"Michigan" Top 5 Page for this destination Michigan by ant1606

Michigan Travel Guide: 3,744 reviews and 7,607 photos

Home, sweet home?

My affair with Michigan started in 1986 when I moved there on a job assignment.
I lived in Battle Creek which is located not far from I-94 at I-69. New country, new home, it meant a lot to me. Being so far from my familiar Alps, my very first comment to it was "flat". An urbanized alpine kid finding himself in a flat smalltown. Different but interesting place and lifestyle.
It's been a long time since I've moved back to my country, but my business still takes me to Michigan and every time I happily recall those early days.
I recall the city of Detroit as of an off-limit place to be due to high crime rates but, gladly, the city has much changed to its own benefit and prestige. Still, it's a pity to see the railroad station building on Michgan Avenue falling to pieces, and it's hard to predict whether this beautiful piece of architecture will be ever turned into a decent, useful facility with hopes for economic prosperity.

Lake Michigan

Great Lakes. Yes, and big. Imagine an ocean of sweet water laying ahead, and of which you can't see the end. We enjoyed Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes near Traverse City in the northwest of Michigan Lower Peninsula. These fine sand tall dunes cover an extensive area to discover under a summer scorching sun. Try to think of an unusual 45° steep beach. People gather here and it appears many like to run and roll down these huge sand hills. Despite we didn't, we had to empty our shoes to avoid bringing home a heavy souvenir. Walking back up could be exhausting to many.

Climate

Some believe Michigan has only two seasons: winter and road construction.
The statement has its fundamentals in the fact that long winters don't allow proper roads maintenance and development.
Snow is common in winter, when temperatures can be bitter cold, while summers are quite hot and humid for the latitude. Best comfort occurs during spring and fall seasons.

• Last visit to Michigan: Jul 2009
  • Intro Updated Dec 18, 2009

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Hi some stunning spots here - esp the blue and green water ones!and love the classic cars meet!

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2008 at 7:23 AM

A nice look at your second home. The potholes are rather worrisome on a speeding bike! Go Pens, go!

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2007 at 3:47 PM

Nice look at Meeeeeeshigan, Antonello. The Crab and BBQ place sounds like my kind of restaurant.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2007 at 12:58 AM

Hm, still it has no mountains :-)) But the surroundings look nice, I like the falls and the sand dunes :-) Oh, and you've got a nice car :-)) (with nice paint I mean - lol )

• wongjeweler's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2007 at 8:31 AM

ant, I live in ann arbor, near brighton. check out this link booksandnature.homestead.com... It will tell you what this moth is. cheers.

• Susi_Blackforest's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2007 at 8:27 AM

Lovely photo, takes me back to when I lived there.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2006 at 9:49 AM

Now I know why you were in Detroit. Clueless on the moth - as for Ann Arbor, the daughter went to school there. Knew every bar in town. Enjoy what you can on your trip. >~!

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2005 at 9:33 PM

Nice pictures - but they are all from the L.P.! Michigan is more than just "trolls" (that is, the people who live 'below the bridge')!

ant1606 Used To Live Here!

ant1606

“Gotta know more of our world”

Badges & Stats in Michigan

Have you been to Michigan?

Latest Activity in Michigan