"Michigan" Top 5 Page for this destination Michigan by ant1606
Michigan Travel Guide: 3,741 reviews and 7,595 photos
My affair with Michigan started in 1986 when I moved there on a job assignment.
I lived in Battle Creek which is located not far from I-94 at I-69. New country, new home, it meant a lot to me. Being so far from my familiar Alps, my very first comment to it was "flat". An urbanized alpine kid finding himself in a flat smalltown. Different but interesting place and lifestyle.
It's been a long time since I've moved back to my country, but my business still takes me to Michigan and every time I happily recall those early days.
I recall the city of Detroit as of an off-limit place to be due to high crime rates but, gladly, the city has much changed to its own benefit and prestige. Still, it's a pity to see the railroad station building on Michgan Avenue falling to pieces, and it's hard to predict whether this beautiful piece of architecture will be ever turned into a decent, useful facility with hopes for economic prosperity.
Great Lakes. Yes, and big. Imagine an ocean of sweet water laying ahead, and of which you can't see the end. We enjoyed Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes near Traverse City in the northwest of Michigan Lower Peninsula. These fine sand tall dunes cover an extensive area to discover under a summer scorching sun. Try to think of an unusual 45° steep beach. People gather here and it appears many like to run and roll down these huge sand hills. Despite we didn't, we had to empty our shoes to avoid bringing home a heavy souvenir. Walking back up could be exhausting to many.
Some believe Michigan has only two seasons: winter and road construction.
The statement has its fundamentals in the fact that long winters don't allow proper roads maintenance and development.
Snow is common in winter, when temperatures can be bitter cold, while summers are quite hot and humid for the latitude. Best comfort occurs during spring and fall seasons.
Exploring northern Michigan for MTB trails is something still on my list of things to do. So far I enjoyed some in the... more travel advice
Scooters are very convenient for moving around everywhere and Michigan is no exception. The purring sound can't compare... more travel advice
- Driving & Riding
- See All Grosse Ile
- See All Detroit - Renaissance Center
- Michigan Breweries
ant1606's Related Pages
Michigan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Michigan Back Roads and Byways"
- "Michigan is not Detroit"
- "Basaic Michigan Page"
- "Michigan Wonderland of Old Mingled with New"
- "Michigan - The Great Lakes State"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Michigan
- Hotels in Michigan
- Transportation in Michigan
- Nightlife in Michigan
- Restaurants in Michigan
- Shopping in Michigan
- Warnings and Dangers in Michigan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Michigan
- 36 Reviews
- 100 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Michigan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Michigan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torino Intro, 94 reviews, 173 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Korea Intro, 85 reviews, 129 photos, 1 travelogue
- Portugal Intro, 48 reviews, 162 photos, 3 travelogues
- Malaysia Intro, 44 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Piemonte Intro, 57 reviews, 101 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Michigan Intro, 36 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 89 photos, 1 travelogue
- South Africa Intro, 36 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 22 reviews, 37 photos
- Scotland Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (26)
Top Michigan hotels
- Detroit Hotels
- 670 Reviews - 1482 Photos
- Grand Rapids Hotels
- 116 Reviews - 152 Photos
- Dearborn Hotels
- 49 Reviews - 150 Photos
- Lansing Hotels
- 61 Reviews - 68 Photos
- Tahquamenon Falls State Park Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 20 Photos
- Houghton Lake Hotels
- 25 Reviews - 74 Photos
- Frankenmuth Hotels
- 49 Reviews - 101 Photos
- Traverse City Hotels
- 124 Reviews - 256 Photos
- Mackinac Island Hotels
- 187 Reviews - 379 Photos
- Warren Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 1 Photo
- Bloomfield Hills Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 2 Photos
- Madison Heights Hotels
- 15 Hotels
- Sault Ste. Marie Hotels
- 21 Reviews - 99 Photos
- Port Huron Hotels
- 19 Reviews - 32 Photos
- Auburn Hills Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 17 Photos