"Torino aka Turin" Top 5 Page for this destination Torino by ant1606

Torino Travel Guide: 746 reviews and 1,631 photos

Torino - Host city of the 2006 Winter Olympics

As a proud Torino (Turin) native and resident, I can't be blamed with impartiality for defining it a great place to visit. The first capital of Italy has a a Metro population of some 2.5 million souls and is an enriching cultural experience for all. The city's Roman standard grid street layout survived the years and it definitely makes it easy to move around. Most roads are as straight as a "Grissino Torinese", a traditional and renowned type of breadstick which was invented here. This great advantage can help the driving visitors as direction signs aren't much reliable and a simple city map would help staying out of trouble.
Parking availability is insufficient and calling for an improvement of public transportation - which isn't too bad though - and I'm sure most residents or visitors would share this statement. As many other cities with a long history, Torino doesn't always cope with recent progress. Public works and road construction in preparation for the Winter Olympic Games have caused daytime nightmares, although the event certainly deserved to focus on the city's image and infrastructures. It was an occasion to clean buildings and general makeup works. The post-Olympics times have seen a growing number of foreign workers and visitors who contribute to a more cosmopolitan ambience.
The city's rapid industrial growth, mainly in the 50s, 60s and 70s, took away some of the original magic but, despite pros & cons, Torino is the Capital of Baroque and still enchants the visitor who walks around the city center. Step inside an old cafe' or gaze at amazing buildings. Or both at the same time while sipping a cup of typical thick chocolate.

Please yourself with this excellent video presentations in Italian language:
Grand Tour - Torino
Grand Tour - Piazza Carignano
(The www.grmsit.com/grandtour video was available in several languages. It vanished, but I leave the reference here in case it will be resumed)

Comprehensive multilingual info:
www.comune.torino.it
www.provincia.torino.it
www.regione.piemonte.it/lingue/english
www.turismotorino.org
www.torino2006.org

Olympic update - Feb 27, 2006

As of 11 Feb 06 I was in Detroit, USA, and forced to watch my own city on TV. I missed the opening ceremony as I was flying from Mexico City but I could later catch it on tape.
It was somehow sad to be away during the opening of this once-in-a-lifetime happening in Torino but a few days later I could fly back home to find the city was simply fantastic. Hordes of fans from around the world, packed streets and live concerts every night at the Medal Plaza starting right after the honors ceremonies. I heard general positive comments about the city and the games' organization, and whenever I saw a visitor in awe in front of some city feature I found myself to be a prouder Turinese than I had expected to be.
What goes up must come down and the flame has now been extinguished for good. Two weeks of glory to be remembered forever!

If you fly to or from Turin across the mountains, you may want to choose a window seat for a great view of the Alps. Sit on the right side of the aircraft for a bird's-eye view of the city center just minutes before landing.

• In a nutshell:You'll be surprised!
  • Intro Updated Jun 9, 2012

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Hi ant,I have been kept very busy looking at your Torino pages...they are simply wonderful..Hugs Dorrise ((()))

• JessieLang's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Nice page with lots of information. Thanks!

• Auburnfemirish's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Many thanks Ant, really good information when compared with google map. Going to your beautiful city in a while and really looking forward to it

• alza's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Ant, this was fantastic! Can't pick, too many choices but Pza S.Carlo for my memory of it, the P. Madama.. un régal pour l'oeil, and chère Madame Bertot for her B&B. Love that diffuse golden light in Torino. Ciao!

• Isabella9999's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Ciao Is there a market near this address? Viale Maestri del Lavoro, 10, 10127 Turin. If yes, how do i get there? Isabella

• MATIM's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2008 at 4:15 AM

Great to read your page after I visit Torino two weeks ago, this city really surprised me. Bring back good memories :) I visit National museum of cinema, I am glad i did, wonderful!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2008 at 3:47 PM

I was crazy to have been in Europe and not visited Turin or Athens for the Olympics - I regret it! but thanks for yr page!Amazed at yr long list of listed bldgs-&the tunnel system sounds fascinating!

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2008 at 2:31 AM

Great tips, thanks for sharing. E grazie per i preziosi consigli. Orietta

• sylina's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2007 at 4:48 AM

Ciao~ overheard in news this morning.. Venaria is re-openning today.. which means i would be able to see it in my trip.. that's so cool.. :) Cheers, Syl

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2006 at 10:58 AM

Ever since the Winter Olympics I have been curious about Torino. Thanks for sharing some great pics.

ant1606 Lives Here!

ant1606

“Gotta know more of our world”

Badges & Stats in Torino