"Czech Republic" Czech Republic by ant1606
Czech Republic Travel Guide: 17,460 reviews and 41,628 photos
My first trip dates back to 1989, at that time the country was still Czechoslovakia, whic later split into present Czech Republic and Slovakia. At that time it took me some 5 hours in line at the border for customs clearing. It was mandatory to exchange the equivalent of 25 USD per day per person in an attempt to limit black market currency trade. Coupons for gasoline or diesel fuel were also mandatory, and these difficulties were limiting large scale tourism. At that time I rented an apartment, and I assume it was an illegal pratcice, in a wonderful stone house built in A.D. 1346.
I returned to a new Czech Republic a few years later to find what revolution meant. Broader economy seemed to have improved the lifestyle of many Czechs, and Prague became accessible to more tourists. It's one among the most beautiful and charming cities I've ever been to, but the magic of old-times nearly empty streets has gone forever. During summer months it's congested with human traffic, strollers, ringing cell phones and voices in any language. Dawn hours are the best to enjoy a relative quietness. The fascinating city center is relatively small and must be discovered by foot. You may spend hours treading Carl's Bridge connecting the Small City across the Vltava river to Prague downtown. Countless spires adobe the skyline in a timeless atmosphere, and every corner yields unforgettable views especially in the twilight.
Similar emotions can be experienced in less crowded Ceske Budejovice and Cesky Krumlov. A visit to Czech Republic would be incomplete without tasting any of the excellent local beers, especially if tasted in a brewery and accompanied with a snack of ham and pickles. Don't even think of ordering a glass smaller than a pint (half a liter), just ask for the number of glasses you want. Your empty glass usually prompts another serving to land on your table unless you stop the waiter.
ant1606's Related Pages
Czech Republic Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Czechia - great architecture & landscapes"
- "CZECH REPUBLIC"
- "The Czech Republic"
- "Following the UNESCO World Heritage sites"
- "Czech Republic: Finding Beers & Hockey Players"
- "Paul2001's Czech Republic page"
- "Adventures in Czechia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Czech Republic
- Hotels in Czech Republic
- Transportation in Czech Republic
- Nightlife in Czech Republic
- Restaurants in Czech Republic
- Shopping in Czech Republic
- Warnings and Dangers in Czech Republic
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Czech Republic
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Czech Republic?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Czech Republic
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torino Intro, 100 reviews, 192 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Korea Intro, 85 reviews, 129 photos, 1 travelogue
- Portugal Intro, 48 reviews, 162 photos, 3 travelogues
- Malaysia Intro, 44 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Piemonte Intro, 58 reviews, 102 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Michigan Intro, 36 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
- France Intro, 44 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- South Africa Intro, 36 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 24 reviews, 42 photos
- Scotland Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue