"Austria" Austria by ant1606
Austria Travel Guide: 18,625 reviews and 49,901 photos
One of my favorite European countries, Austria combines landscape and architectural beauties, interesting food and friendly people to be met. Capital Vienna and elegant Salzburg are a must for visitors, but the soul of small villages deserves to be captured as well. German language knowledge helps but English is generally spoken. If you're on a low-calories diet it is suggestable to stay away from certain windows displaying irresistable local pastry!
Quite notorious ski resorts are enjoyable in winter, while for a summer vacation the choice would include hiking, rock climbing or cycling through a variety of dedicated bike trails along which "Pension" old-fashioned hotels offer overnight shelter. Even squeaky hardwood flooring will be fondly remembered.
Plenty of lakes with beaches, maybe too crowded in peak season though, add to Austria's unforgettable landmarks.
Use of highways require the purchase of a toll sticker, to be displayed on the windshield, and valid through a variable period of time. An extra affordable fee is asked to cross some selected mountain passes.
In August 2008 I cycled the Donauradweg (Danube bike path), for details see my Braunau to Budapest album.
I had my army service in Tarvisio, Italy, right on the border with the Carinthia region of Austria. During my stay there I kept going across customs to find it a highly hospitable, friendly and clean country.
We sometimes visit our friends living in Braunau, north of Salzburg, and it's fantastic to go ski together at world-class ski resorts!
Salzburg might be a small city in terms of size, definitely not in terms of charme. Park your car and forget it, as everithing here is within walking distance.
Stroll down Getreidegasse and you'll get the whole of it. Check out Mozart's house and mix with locals in one of the many cafe' for a wedge of high-energy Sachertorte. While eating delicious Brezeln (pretzels), watch people playing chess on a large scale checkerboard near St. Peter's cathedral. Walk up Kapuzinerberg for a great city view!
And, last but not least, try the best freshly brewed beer at the Augustiner Monastery!
This additional tip is for posting pictures, see description in previous tip! For details, please see the dedicated... more travel advice
One of the most popular cycling trails in Europe, the Donauradweg (Danube bike trail) allows to cross Austria along the... more travel advice
ant1606's Related Pages
Austria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Austria - Where to go and what to do !"
- "Classy Austria"
- "Paul2001's Austria Page"
- "4 Visits and 1 conclusion... Stunning!!"
- "VT meeting in Pisa"
- "Country of mountains, country of streams..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Austria
- Hotels in Austria
- Transportation in Austria
- Nightlife in Austria
- Restaurants in Austria
- Shopping in Austria
- Warnings and Dangers in Austria
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Austria
- 7 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Austria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Austria
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torino Intro, 93 reviews, 168 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Korea Intro, 85 reviews, 129 photos, 1 travelogue
- Portugal Intro, 48 reviews, 162 photos, 3 travelogues
- Malaysia Intro, 44 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Piemonte Intro, 55 reviews, 97 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Michigan Intro, 36 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
- France Intro, 41 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- South Africa Intro, 36 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 22 reviews, 37 photos
- Scotland Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (26)
Top Austria hotels
- Vienna Hotels
- 7174 Reviews - 17491 Photos
- Salzburg Hotels
- 2644 Reviews - 6114 Photos
- Innsbruck Hotels
- 1138 Reviews - 2562 Photos
- Zell am See Hotels
- 112 Reviews - 442 Photos
- Hallstatt Hotels
- 225 Reviews - 719 Photos
- Seefeld Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 9 Photos
- Graz Hotels
- 555 Reviews - 1445 Photos
- Kufstein Hotels
- 30 Reviews - 80 Photos
- Baden Hotels
- 106 Reviews - 241 Photos
- Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut Hotels
- 150 Reviews - 352 Photos
- Laxenburg Hotels
- 1 Review
- Igls Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 98 Photos
- Kitzbühel Hotels
- 64 Reviews - 229 Photos
- Ellmau Hotels
- 78 Reviews - 178 Photos
- Parndorf Hotels
- 2 Reviews