"Bologna with Festa di San Petronio 2011" Bologna by sylina

Bologna Travel Guide: 1,267 reviews and 3,953 photos

Bologna la rossa

As the capital and lagest city in Emilia-Romagna (northern Italy), Bologna holds around 380,000 inhabitants.. The city is filled with gorgeous red-brick palazzi and piazze.. Explore the city by walking under its typical "porticos", covered walkways spread through the historical center is absolutely fascinating..

Bologna hosts the oldest university in the Western world. Lively student population brings this historical town a vibrant spirit.. I love this great combination.. Happened to be there on Festa di San Petronio.. 4 days in a roll, there were tons of performances and activities happened on the main square - Piazza Maggiore.. Such a good treat that I didn't want to leave at all. I cancelled my day trip to Ferrara coz I couldn't bear to lose a day in Bologna.. :) Not saying Ferrara is less worth.. I will not miss it when visit the region next time..

La Cucina Bolognese

Bologna is famous for its cuisine... It's bolognese sauce and tortellini have good reputation among italians from other regions. I literally enjoyed every single meal during my stay... There was an event for tasting traditional bolognese cuisine during Festa di San Petronio. Many local restaurants took part in.. set menus with quality typical bolognese dishes were offered with reasonable prices... I did found some restaurants around the central piazza were a bit more pricier than those close to the portas (city gates).. but anyhow.. they were acceptable.. and the food was simply great!

The people

The more places I visited, the more I realize that the people really make an infuence on your feelings for the place. I enjoyed my stay in Bologna. For the city was indeed gorgeous.. also for its beautiful and intellegent people. As I mentioned.. there were a lot activities and events organized on piazza maggiore during the festival. From gymnastics performance by local teenagers to choirs in Basilica San Petronio, from live rock band of the region to classic opera and drama.. I would say Festa San Petronio was quite a good period to visit Bologna..

• Pros:Architectures.. Cuisine.. People
  • Cons:can be quite packed in the high season
  • In a nutshell:I am seriously considering to go back for 2012's Festa di San Petronio!
  • Last visit to Bologna: Oct 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

sylina

“Do it now, tomorrow maybe too late”

Badges & Stats in Bologna

Have you been to Bologna?

Latest Activity in Bologna