"Lago d'Orta" Lago d' Orta by sylina
Lago d' Orta Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 145 photos
Orta is a small lake lies to the west of Lago Maggiore.. Its romantic tranquil nature makes a great full day trip from Stresa.
Lake Orta is a minor star in the costellation of the subalpine lakes, but all the fascination and the history of the larger lakes seem to be concentrated in this short space. -- www.orta.net
Lago d'Orta, one of the smallest and least-known of northern Italy's sub-Alpine lakes, is a place for sublime moments. The German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, who visited the lake in May 1882 and believed that the experience changed his life forever, inscribed the date "von Orta an" ("from Orta onwards") as a preface to his masterpiece Thus Spake Zarathustra. Other 19th-century writers enchanted by its quiet beauty include the French novelist Honor de Balzac, who wrote rapturously of this "grey pearl in a green jewel-box", and Robert Browning. His poem "By the Fireside", which contemplates the beauty of a setting where "Alp meets heaven in snow", describes the lakeside village of Pella as a luminous "speck of white... in the evening-glow". -- www.orta.net
Orta is a place of mists and devotion. Morning mists come with the territory: this little jewel, just eight miles long and less than two wide, is the only one of the Italian lakes entirely in Piedmont. The devotion is figured plainly in the 20 small chapels of the Sacro Monte above Orte San Giuilo, with their stirring and educational tableaux of terracotta sculptures - like Counter-Reformation television - illustrating scenes from the life of Saint Francis. It is there too on the island of San Giulio, dominated by an ancient basilica and more modern convent. But the devotion is also that of those who have been here, and been charmed, and secretly wished that nobody - or at least nobody else - should give the game away. Certainly not in print. -- Lake Orta by Lee Marshall
sylina's Related Pages
Lago d' Orta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "LAGO D'ORTA"
- "Orta Lake"
- "THE SMALL GEM OF ORTA"
- "Lago D'orta, Emotions..."
- "Lago di Orta - Monte Mottarone"
- "The smallest of the Northern Italian Lakes"
- "so romantic"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lago d' Orta
- Hotels in Lago d' Orta
- Transportation in Lago d' Orta
- Restaurants in Lago d' Orta
- Shopping in Lago d' Orta
- Warnings and Dangers in Lago d' Orta
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Lago d' Orta
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Lago d' Orta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lago d' Orta
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 40 reviews, 228 photos, 5 travelogues
- Maldives Intro, 71 reviews, 114 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hangzhou Intro, 39 reviews, 145 photos, 5 travelogues
- Torino Intro, 30 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bologna Intro, 18 reviews, 129 photos, 6 travelogues
- Isola del Giglio Intro, 11 reviews, 94 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos
- Tübingen Intro, 9 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jiuzhaigou Intro, 33 reviews, 33 photos
- Qingdao Intro, 6 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues