"Welcome to my city" sylina's Profile

my city, my home, my soul

I love travelling, to see new things, meet new people... I always believe, difference is interesting.. sometimes it's all what counts..

So far Europe is my favourite. I have some close friends in Germany, I visit it often.. besides, I like quite much what I saw, what I experienced in Portugal, Spain and France.. etc... But above all, Italy is my biggest love... I tried to make 3 trips a year to visit Europe, mainly Italy... :)

Through all these years, all the trips I made, I started to realize Shanghai is my true home.. where I miss deeply after a while... no matter how much I like Europe, how much I enjoy my dolce vita in Italy... after a while, my heart is longing for Shanghai's beat... I noticed that 20 days is the limit... it happened many times that on 21st day, I start to get a little homesick... and tell myself, I need to go home... :)

The Bund

The Bund is probably the most famous spot for Shanghai. I love to stroll along it.. especially in evening.. I got to know that most of my colleagues and friends seldom go there... because they think it's for tourist... hell No! Just because I am local, doesn't mean I should give up enjoying one of the most charming venues in town.. :)

The other activity I am addicted to is having couple glasses of wine on the Bund.. There are many bars/lounges along the bund... very nice ones but not low price for sure.. I do visit them time to time.. but when the weather is nice.. I prefer to bring my own wine, glass and music.. just sit on the steps, enjoy the atmosphere, the view and people watching.. it's just great! :)

Yes, we have clear days too! :))

We had some beautiful clear days in summer this year.. This is view from my office canteen area.. Ps: we are on 41F... My colleague from Netherlands pointed it out to me, it was so clear that we could even see the small (and only) hill we have in Shanghai on the horizon.. "what is going on?" he asked me.. :D

yeah.. unfortunately we have too many foggy days here.. but sometimes it's possible to get some clear sky too.. hehe...

Big towers

After Jin Mao tower, they built this "bottle opener" (World Financial Center)... the building behind... has an observe deck on 100F.. said to have glass floor.. I went to check it out.. turned out to be only 2 small squared glass area on the floor.. nothing really exciting.. instead the view from the bar on 92 floor was pretty amazing.. see the main pic... it's a popular venue to watch sunset when the weather is nice.. make sure to arrive early to get a table.. :)

They are constructing now a new building close to those two towers, an even taller one - Shanghai Center, which is said to be 580m, 118 floors.. hmmm... Let's see..

The Pearl Tower

The TV tower is the first tall building in Pudong area, started in 1991, completed in 1994.

There was a glass roof (a really one, not as the bottle opener) added a few years ago, around the big ball.. I haven't made to step on it.. should be fun.. :)

Change through 20 years

Pearl Tower has witnessed how much Pudong has changed since 1991.. and I too, have seen how Shanghai has improved a lot through these years.. We have now 13 metro lines, will be 22 in 2020 as planned..

Shanghai is getting more and more crowded.. lack of green, poluted air, dusty area due to endless construction here and there.. but the city is definitely improving.. It's a convenient and exciting city to live.. I love it!

View view view

This pic was taken in the 789 bar of Le Meridien on Nanjing Dong Lu on 66F... Nice view for both Pudong and Puxi area.. the street lightened up is Nanjing road.. the shopping street..

Nanjing Dong Lu

The pedestrian Nanjing Dong Lu is a famous shopping street with big neon lights... starts from People Square ends at the Bund.. full of malls and shops.. Apple store as well.. :)

• Intro Updated Oct 17, 2012

• NorainS's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2013 at 1:45 AM

thanks

• Oct 24, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Dear member.... I am looking for your local knowledge
    I wish to visit Shanghai next week and looking for some advise --
    best location with $100 dollar hotel budget per night
    best hotel for the budget noted
    is there students who offer tour guides for first day?

• sylina's Profile Photo
      Oct 28, 2013 at 3:42 AM

hello there, sorry for late reply.. have been on VT for ages.. saw your message only now.. hope it's not too late.. the best location for hotel i would say close to the pedestrian street of Nan Jing Road.. or close to People's Square (the center).. there are couple of budget hotels in those area.. for 100$ I believe you can find some decent ones.. like Salvo Hotel, The Bund Hotel, Magnificent International Hotel.. you can find more options on www.ctrip.com... it's a local agency website.. have english version.. i believe there are students who offer tour guides.. but i am not sure how to find them.. sorry..

ps: the pedestrian street and the bund is really nice to stroll during both day and night. but please be wary of the scams of teahouse/teashop.. people trying to approach you for tea ceromony or simply english practising normally is wanting something else.. it's really a shame for us.. just say no and keep walking.. :) enjoy Shanghai!

• EileenVee's Profile Photo
      Nov 15, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Hi I would like to know the weather in shanghai now. What sort of jacket to bring? :)

• Eveart222's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2013 at 3:47 PM

HAPPY BELATED BDAY TO YOU SYLINA I HOPE YOU ENJOYED YOUR BDAY

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2013 at 3:06 PM

A belated Happy Birthday!

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo

Jun 28, 2013 at 4:41 AM

Happy Birthday

• shenroko's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Happy birthday,dear,lots of health and best wishes!Roko,God bless.Shengri kuaile.

• akkipaa's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Happy Birthday Sylina!

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Best intro of Shanghai's highlights I've read. On my list now ;-) Thanks

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
sylina's Profile Photo

sylina

“Do it now, tomorrow maybe too late”

Real Name