"Hel" Top 5 Page for this destination Hel by Skeptic-jr
Hel Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 193 photos
Hel is a name both for all the peninsula (rightly speaking - spit) and the town located on the tip of the Hel peninsula.
The peninsula has about 35 km lenght and from 100 meters to 3 km width. It partly devides Puck Bay from the open sea. The northern shore, on the side of Baltic Sea, is rather plain, while the southern one has many little bays and creeks.
There are a road and the railway (without electric traction) along the Hel peninsula.
In town of Hel live about 4,5 thousand people. Many of them are soldiers or their families, because Hel for a long time was beeing used as a military base. There was strong garrison there - during 2nd WW Polish troops in Hel defended for the longest time against German nazis. But it is not only the history from the half of century. Yet till a few years ago there were many restrictions that not allowed you to go where you wanted because of "military area".
Actually things about Hel (peninsula) and Hel (town) are not so easy. Hel is a name of town, that is for sure. But when tourists and people from rest of Poland often say "Hel" meaning "Hel peninsula", the local inhabitants usually name it just "Penisula".
Hel Peninsula is a part of the greater region: Kaszuby (website)
Puck (official website) and Wladyslawowo (official website) are are two towns at the bottom of peninsula.
Jastrzebia Gora (commercial) is another town, the farest on North in Poland.
On the PENINSULA there are respectively:
Chalupy - a place famous for first Polish naturists, now is more popular among wind-surfers.
Jastarnia (official) - a tourist town consist of Kuznica, Jastarnia and Jurata (spa and most trendy and snobbish part).
Hel (official) - town on the tip of spit.
Mostly the fishers' houses stay along Wiejska Street, the main street in the town taking its name from the fact that Hel... more travel advice
Educational institution and an tourist attraction Hel pools for seal is almost full of people,especially parents with... more travel advice
Skeptic-jr's Related Pages
Hel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hel - the tip of the Hel Peninsula"
- "Sunday in Hel"
- "Hel Pennisula"
- "Hel, Poland"
- "To and from Hel Peninsula"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hel
- Hotels in Hel
- Transportation in Hel
- Nightlife in Hel
- Restaurants in Hel
- Shopping in Hel
- Warnings and Dangers in Hel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hel
- 7 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Hel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hel
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 128 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eger Intro, 30 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torun Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos
- Piran Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Rovinj Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tihany Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hajduszoboszlo Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Balatonfured Intro, 14 reviews, 12 photos
- Szydlow Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue