Krakow Things to Do Tips by Skeptic-jr Top 5 Page for this destination
Krakow Things to Do: 1,766 reviews and 3,085 photos
One of photos from their web gallery
I have not been there, since I do not play golf, but people sometimes wants to know how to get there. So this is info about it. To see what KVG & CG is, follow the link the their webpage (below).
First you shoud know that Krakow Valley Golf is not in Krakow, but 30 km from city's center, in the village of Paczoltowice.
But how to get the if you have not any car nor organized transport there?
1. If you are a major businessman you should go by taxi, 40 minutes sth like that (maybe about 100 zl - but the price I only guess...).
2. If you are a man who have more time to see how people live in Poland and have similar interest to the local customs as to global rules of golf you should go from Krakow to Krzeszowice by train (30 minutes, maybe 5-6 zl, departuring every hour or so) or a little bus (so called in Polish "bus", read: "boos", on the contrary to "autobus", meaning a regular bus) - many lines, about 30-40 minutes, 4 zl or so. And then from Krzeszowice - by local taxi (maybe 15-20 zl and 10 minutes).
Of course, you can go one way by taxi and return by taxi/train/bus. Or vice versa.
1 EURO = ~ 3,8 zl (04.2007)
Address: Paczółtowice 328, 32-063 Krzeszowice
Directions: 30 km on West from Krakow.
Other Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: + 48 12 258 85 00
Today Collegium Novum is the main part of Jagiellonian University, but it is not really old building. It was built in 80s of 19th century, so it is in neogothic-style.Inside valuable pictures (e.g. by Jan Matejko). The seat for the university's rector.
Address: Golebia (Dovish) Street 24
Directions: University Quarter, near the Main Market Square.
Lady with Ermine
You should visit Czartoryskis' Museum and see the most valuable picture in Poland. "Lady with an Ermine" (In Polish: Dama z lasiczka) was painted in 1485 by Leonardo da Vinci. The painting was made with oil on wood panel, its dimentions are 54 × 39 cm. This is one of only three female portraits Leonardo painted.
The rest of museum's collection contains of the other old master's paintings (including Rembrant's "Landscape with merciful Samaritan"), european and muslim art handicraft from middle ages to 19th century, graphics, ancient art and arsenal.
Address: Swietego Jana Street no 19
Directions: Near Florianska Gate
Skarga in the rain
A big controversy accompanied the setting up of this monument in May 2001. The column appeared suddenly, almost without any public debate, but in its honor committee seated prominent people from the top of church hierarchy and local self-government from right-wing party.
Is is accused for being to pathetic in very realistic way. Many opponents say also that his pose is similar rather to the revolutionist than to the priest.
Rev. Skarga was jesuit and preacher in 15-16th centuries, lived also in Krakow, serving for king Sigmund III Waza. He was one of the most important exponent of Polish couter-reformation, great orator, opponent of tolerance which in his opinion was one of the sources of political crisises at the times he lived.
The little square at foot of monument is popular place amongst local skaters.
Address: Grodzka Street
Directions: 5 minutes from the Market Square, on the little square opposite to Saints Peter and Paul Church.
Near to the corner of Market Square, opposite the St Mary Church stands a huge metal head - the sculpture made of bronze by famous artist Igor Mitoraj. "Eros Bendato" (Eros tied) lies aside, there is a bandages on the head of young man.
Scupture is really biggish - 3,7 m lenght i 2,25 m height. Is standed near the Town Hall's Tower since 2005. Specialists says its market value is about 0,5 mln EUR - the artist donaded it to Krakow.
The head is rather popular, especially amongst tourists who usually want to catch picture with it, but many people argue it is a daub. The city's authorities try to move it on another spot - the present location is temporary and shouldn't change till the end of 2006.
Mitoraj is famous Polish sculpturor, a follower of Tadeusz Kantor, who for many years has been living abroad (France, Italy). His arts are usually parts of human body, symbolizing its fragility and the time expiration. He is very strong linked to the Greek and Roman mythology.
In Krakow there are also other works by this artist, but they are hidden in museums, making "Eros Bendato" the only one on the open air. The other two Mitoraj's scuptures one can admires in National Museum, one more decoretes court-yard of Collegium Iuridicum in Jagiellonian University.
Address: The Market Square
Directions: Heart of city
St. Mary's Church
Two towers of the Gothic Kosciol Mariacki St Mary's Church) dominate the Main Market Square.
This is realy treasure of different relics. The famous is the Gothic altar (the largest in Europe), the masterpiece of Wit Stwosz.
For legends linked to the church look at my "Local Customs" tips:
Address: The Main Market Square
Directions: The Old Town
The museum's elevation is neglected
A small exhibition at the museum Apteka Pod Orlem (The Pharmacy under an Eagle) at the Plac Bohaterow Getta (The Square of The Heroes of the Ghetto) shows a history of life and death Jewish people experienced under the German Nazi occupation. During the war in the pharmacy worked Tadeusz Pankiewicz, the only Pole who was allowed to live in the ghetto. There was a place of a conspiracy, contacts and an aim for needies.After war Pankiewicz was honoured by Yad Vashem with the medal of "The Righteous among the nations of the world."
Mon-Fri 10 am. - 4 pm.
Sun 10 am. - 2 pm.
Address: Plac Bohaterow Getta No 18
Directions: Podgórze District
Phone: 656 56 25
Plac Bohaterow Getta
The square is in the Podgorze district, just on the other side of Vistula River than Krakow's Old Town and now trendy former Jewish district Kazimierz.
Formelly the Zgody (Agreement or Consensus) Square during the WWII was in the Krakow's ghetto, organized by German nazists. In March 1943 was the place were the hitlerites round up Jewish people from the ghetto, where they were imprisoned. Thousands of victims stayed here forever, the rest were expulsed out of ghetto to the Plaszow camp.
After war the square for years was neglected and rather dangerous place. There is a little museum - Drugstore under White Eagle - in the old farmacy during war run by Tadeusz Pankiewicz, who was the only Pole allowed by German invaders to be in the ghetto. He tried to help Jews. The exhibition is about ghetto and Pankowski's help for Jewish people.
In 2005 all the square was ordered and transformed in the huge memento of extermination. The inspiration for authors of the project were fragments from the book by Pankowski, in which he mentioned, that the square were full of wardrobes, chairs, tables and other furnitures carried over from place to place by Jews who didn't know what's going on with them. That is why today the square is "furnished" with many metal sculptures of chairs.
Address: In Polish: Plac Bohaterow Getta
Directions: Podgorze district
Along the remained fragments walls of the Old Town runs Pijarska Street. At the Arsenal the Venetian-style arche crosses the street. There are many of "painters" close by Florianska Gate, offering their pictures with Krakow's view, horses etc. Be careful - most of them are definetely a kitsch.
Address: Pijarska Street
Directions: Old city
St. Florian Church
The church was originally built in the medieval age, when the relics of Saint Florian had been bring down to it.
Today Saint Florian Church is an example of the Baroque-style temple. It has rich equipped inside and great localisation, which make it the kind of crown of view for the Matejko Square.
The church was the place, where started so called Royal Route leading to the Wawel hill (and castle). In the past the route was use by kings during their ceremonial entries, now is the main tourist track in the city and also the frame for order of my next Krakow's "Must see" tips.
Address: Matejko Square
Directions: The Royal Route
More Reviews (72)
- See All In the heart of Kazimierz District
- See All Italian taste
- See All Krakow in a nutshell
- See All Sad place and great people
- See All Dragons' Parade
Skeptic-jr's Related Pages
Krakow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Heart of Europe and Poland"
- "Krakow - Ancient Capital of Poland"
- "Krakow: Rome in Poland."
- "Krakow ~ Everybody's Favourite!"
- "WELCOME TO KRAKOW"
- "EUROMEET IN KRAKOW POLAND"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Krakow
- Hotels in Krakow
- Transportation in Krakow
- Nightlife in Krakow
- Restaurants in Krakow
- Shopping in Krakow
- Warnings and Dangers in Krakow
- See All...
Explore the World
- Doha Hotels
- Saint Cloud Hotels
- Montalban Hotels
- Apple River Canyon State Park Hotels
- Niagara Falls
Badges & Stats in Krakow
- 128 Reviews
- 176 Photos
- 20 Forum posts
- 83 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Krakow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Krakow
- Posted in Travel China Forum "Searching for useful details"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Krakow Valley Golf & Country Club"
- Wrote a Review Krakow Valley Golf & Country Club in Krakow Things to Do
- updated a Krakow Travel Page "Krakow - Ancient Capital of Poland"
- Commented on one of leics's Krakow travel pages
Photos in KrakowSee All Photos (176)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 128 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eger Intro, 30 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torun Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos
- Piran Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Rovinj Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tihany Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hajduszoboszlo Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Balatonfured Intro, 14 reviews, 12 photos
- Szydlow Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Krakow hotel reviews
- Hotel Wyspianski
- 399 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Novotel Krakow Centrum
- 284 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Alexander Hotel
- 142 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Chopin Hotel Cracow
- 205 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Rezydent Hotel
- 271 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Hotel Amber
- 289 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Hotel Galicya
- 96 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013
- Grand Hotel - Krakow
- 204 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Sympozjum Hotel
- 121 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Hotel Pod Roza
- 103 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Hotel Globus
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Kazimierz's Secret Apartments
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 22, 2013
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Red Brick Apartments
- 137 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Hotel Rubinstein
- 103 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Wawel Castle- 324 Reviews, 491 Photos
- Auschwitz- 107 Reviews, 250 Photos
- The Market Square - Rynek Glowny- 158 Reviews, 247 Photos
- The Jewish Quarter - Kazimierz- 150 Reviews, 286 Photos
- Wieliczka Salt Mine- 69 Reviews, 172 Photos
- St. Mary's Church- 119 Reviews, 214 Photos
- St. Florian's Gate and the Barbican- 111 Reviews, 176 Photos
- The Cloth Hall - Sukiennice- 81 Reviews, 134 Photos
- Jagiellonian University- 31 Reviews, 47 Photos
- The Town Hall - Ratusz- 39 Reviews, 57 Photos
See All Krakow Things to Do