"Krakow - Ancient Capital of Poland" Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow by Skeptic-jr

Krakow Travel Guide: 4,468 reviews and 10,527 photos

UNESCOs' Recommendation

See: Krakow on UNESCO Heritage List
My Krakow in a nutshell album

Krakow is the city, which for many years was a seat for Polish kings. In 1978 the Old Town was registered by UNESCO list. To be honest now the list is loosing its significance, becouse of its expansion and bureaucratic procedure to get such a noble title. But Krakow (and Wieliczka too) was one of the first 12 sites on the World Heritage List!

Today some Krakow's politicians and local communities are prepering for starting procedures to to involve on the list at least two other complex of building: the old part of socrealistic city Nowa Huta (New Steelwork district) and a set of forts which in 19th century made Krakow Austrian's fortress.

Photo: Wawel Castle
This is place where not only the Polish kings were living, but - as we say: "The Heart of Poland", place very important for our history, culture and identity.

If I could recommend you a style of visiting my Krakow's pages, I would suggest you to follow my order of "must see" tips. Putting them together I hoped to give here an opportunity for a virtual walk through the historic center of the city.

Up to now it covers so called "Royal Route" and another itinerary by streets of Kazimierz, the former Jewish district.

Of course my virtual Krakow is far from be completed. But extending it I try to keep the order of the tips. It give them the logical sense.

Recommended external pages:
City's website
The Wawel Castle and the Old Town from a bird's-eye view

And some galleries recommended me by one of the readers (and probably the auhor of the pics...). I think they are worth to see:
Cracow at night
Kazimierz
Events of 2004
Rakowicki cemetery

What else to see?

Local customs
As a resident of the city I want to show you its original values that usually are not mentioned in popular book-guides. So read particular carefully my tips about places which are Off the beaten paths and about local customs.

Around the city

Have a day for leasure? Tired of city's athmosphere and loking for rest at the nature? Want to visit small courtyards, ruins of old castles, deep forests, picturesque smal towns and many other interesting destinations? click!

• Pros:Full of historical places, monuments, universities, cultural activities and entertainments
  • Cons:I have to think about cons
  • In a nutshell:Must see
  • Intro Updated Sep 15, 2006

• Apr 16, 2011 at 4:33 PM

i would add on the danger specifically of getting conned by the buggy drivers this happened to me i so want to warn people as it ruined my experience of krakow

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Good page. Ciao!

• vpas's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2010 at 7:00 PM

nice page Mark!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2009 at 11:14 AM

I see you love your city! Good for you! Thanx for your nice page.....

• paulinuk2u's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2009 at 2:47 AM

must be lucky in 14?years i,ve never had a problem in krakow

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Hi Mark, I watched a tourism program about Krakow on Turkish TV. Your page is very good and full of useful tips and good photos. From now on Krakow is in my wish list.Bora

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Will I see you when I come to Krakow in the spring? Planning to be in time for Corpus Christi.

• Apr 18, 2008 at 2:47 AM

Often missed out, this is a very good input on the 'Eros Bendato' as I search everywhere for it. Thanks.

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Nice Krakow photos. I visited last December and this city has become one of my most favorite cities in the world. Regards

• wroclawiak's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2007 at 4:51 AM

Fajnie, że nie ominąłeś Kazimierza w opisie Krakowa. Tyle razy byłem w Krakowie i jakoś nie miałem okazji go odwiedzić. Tym razem skieruję tam pierwsze swoje kroki. Dzięki.

Skeptic-jr Lives Here!

Skeptic-jr

“I think, so I am. But who's speaking now?”

Badges & Stats in Krakow