"Architecture, Astronomy and ... Gingerbreads" Top 5 Page for this destination Torun by Skeptic-jr
Torun Travel Guide: 246 reviews and 468 photos
Without any doubts Torun is the one of the most beautiful Polish cities. Althought its roots are rather not only Polish...
The town was founded in 1233 by Crusaders, who were the order of monks-knights. After some failures in Palestine they have been invited by some of Central-European rulers. One of Polish princes also invited them for evangelize "pagans".
But after exteminating a few Prus people tribes thay created their own state and moved against Poland (divided in that time in many small princedoms and tried hard to unite) and other neighbors.
Under the Crusadres' rule the town had castle and became an important trade center and the member of Hanza (the union of trade cities and ports from German seaboard).
Torun was also one of centers of Polish resistance against the Crusaders. Its culmination was an
uprising against the order in 1454 which was the beginning of Polish-Crusaders 13-years war. As war's results Poland incorporated one part of Crusaders' state (with Torun) and the rest become a fief of Polish kings.
From the beginning the city was developing quickly. Just after its founding, in 1264, they located the New Town. In the contrary to the Old one its residents were not merchants and the richests craftsmen, but rather poorer of them.
For Poles Torun besides gorgeous architecture and great universities always reminds honey-cakes and famous astronomer Kopernik.
From 1997 historical center of Torun is on the UNESCO list.
I have been to the city a few times, but unfortunately those visits had been usually just "sliddings" in the old center of Torun. But it is for sure the most interesting part of the city for tourist, especially if they are from abroad. Even if they (you) will only slide like me, you still can have a breath of its atmosphere, taking back home gingerbreads in the box formed as it was a one of famous Torun's building.
Torun is famous in all Poland for its gingerbreads. In some markets you can buy them packed in the paper boxes formed... more travel advice
Hotel in three ancient houses at the heart of the Old Town. Many rooms (with bathrooms) and huge conference hall.... more travel advice
Skeptic-jr's Related Pages
Torun Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "TORUN - real gem"
- "Torun . . . a pleasant discovery"
- "Architecture, Astronomy and ... Gingerbreads"
- "Torun - little Cracow"
- "Of Brick and Gingerbread"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Torun
- Hotels in Torun
- Transportation in Torun
- Nightlife in Torun
- Restaurants in Torun
- Shopping in Torun
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Torun
- 31 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Torun?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Torun
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 128 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eger Intro, 30 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torun Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos
- Piran Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Rovinj Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tihany Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hajduszoboszlo Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Balatonfured Intro, 14 reviews, 12 photos
- Szydlow Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue