"Nephews' Country" Hungary by Skeptic-jr

Hungary Travel Guide: 11,120 reviews and 28,180 photos

Budapest * Szentendre * The Balaton Lake * Balatonfured * Tihany * Eger

Probably majority of Poles knows saying The Pole - The Hungarian, two nephews / for a saber and a glass (meaning drinking-bout) , which in Polish create a rhyme "Polak-Wegier, dwa bratanki / i do szabli, i do szklanki". But I am not sure how many how of them are aware how numerous are historical connections between our two countries and how close are. It can seems to be strange, because now we even have not a common border. Moreover, our languages are completely different one from another (to be honest Hungarian is very far from all languages, while Poles can have basic chats with many Slavonic nations). But through centuries we had a border, frequent alliances and many common rulers. Beening in Hungary only three times and having knowledge of few Hungarian words I feel a great sympathy for this country and its people and hope to express it by sharing here some tips.

Language studies

I have found the Hungarian translation for the proverb that I mentioned above: "Magyar, Lengyel ket unokatestver, a szablyahoz es a poharhoz."

And another proverb which makes a rhyme in Hungarian: "Magyar, Lengyel ket jo barat, egyutt issza meg a borat." (The Hungarian, the Pole, two friends, who drinks together their wine). Or one more version, send me by VT-er: "Lengyel-magyar két jóbarát, együtt issza sörét, borát" (... are drinking together their wine and beer) - this one is probably more modern.

"Nem ertem magyarul" means "I don't understand Hungarian." It is a way to change a little this fact. Simply go to that page, where you can learn some Hungarian words and even hear how they are pronounced.

Places

So far I have been in Budapest, Szentendre, at the Balaton Lake (Tihany, Balatonfured). Then my next destination in Hungary was Eger, which has really delighted me. Now I think about Sopron and Gyor and hope to visit them soon.

• Last visit to Hungary: Dec 2002
  • Intro Updated Jul 26, 2004

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2005 at 7:12 AM

Great and very interesting itro and excellent tips! My congratulations :-)

• shirez's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2004 at 4:39 PM

Marko, don forget to warn me when you come next time, and we arrange a cool wine tasting, or a langos-eating competition:-DDD actually langos cant be found on every corner: can be bought on SZIGET, at Balaton, and maybe some market halls..

• aramat's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2004 at 3:00 PM

You made me really hungry with this langos photo!! Cool page.

• ncfg's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2004 at 12:06 PM

Nice page and the food looks great :-)

• hu_women's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2003 at 2:32 AM

Very nice page Mark! I agree with you, Hungarian language is not similar to any other language. The website is useful, your Hungarian translations are perfect :))

Skeptic-jr

“I think, so I am. But who's speaking now?”

Badges & Stats in Hungary

Have you been to Hungary?

Latest Activity in Hungary