"The amazing Serra da Estrela" Top 5 Page for this destination Serra da Estrela by ncfg

Serra da Estrela Travel Guide: 104 reviews and 209 photos

Well, I must describe my fabulous trip to Serra da Estrela, the highest mountain of mainland Portugal.

I will begin to tell you that when you go to some place without any plans to go there, it is the best travel you will have.

It was what happened to me, I planed to go to enjoy the Carnival in Mealhada with hotel booked in Luso, place near Mealhada, but …. well, Sunday, 22 of February, when we came there it started raining a lot, bad luck, the famous carnival parade was cancelled and what we did, we called to a hotel in Manteigas (Serra da Estrela) and we were luck.

And we went to spend three great days on Serra da Estrela with snow.

If you want to know what happened next, follow me through my tips, come on ….

• Pros:Beautiful landscapes, walking trails, historical routes, excellent conditions to practice Winter sports and good gastronomy.
  • Cons:When you are trapped on a heavy snowfall
  • In a nutshell:Go there!!!!
  • Last visit to Serra da Estrela: Feb 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 31, 2004

• Mailo's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Tu pagina es fantastica, me encanta, quiero ir a Portugal algún dia y estar ahi al menos un mes para ver todas esas bellezas de lugares, Abrazos Nat.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2007 at 8:06 AM

What a beautiful area. Such lovely buildings and stunning scenery.

• global84's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2006 at 3:16 PM

I've been to Guarda, too, to see its Sé. It was astonishing; I couldn't believe how it would have been like to build it for 150 years! But it was a great, rather relaxing trip overall, except those 40 minutes that I got lost my way! LOL

• CALSF's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2006 at 6:22 PM

You're right and I forgot about Serra da Estrela being so high that it snows. I wish you a nice weekend also.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2006 at 12:38 PM

What an adventure. You seemed to take it well. I enjoyed all your great insights, valuable tips, and lovely photographs. Your restaurant and Off the Beaten Path tips were my favorites.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2006 at 1:20 PM

Glad you survived the long wait in the snow to show us this beautiful mountain region Truely magnificent!!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2005 at 2:48 PM

Wow, trapped seven hours in the snow! Glad you got out of there all right. Nice photos and stories.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2005 at 7:53 PM

Love your work and your photographs are wonderful!

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2005 at 3:05 PM

great start of this beautiful region, I'll be back...you finished the page. excellent!!

• Mar 11, 2005 at 6:06 AM

Hi, I like these pages. Its not just "the snow in portugal" but the accompanying information on villages etc.. (ps thanks for the kind comments about my pages).

ncfg

“"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart"”

Badges & Stats in Serra da Estrela

Have you been to Serra da Estrela?

Latest Activity in Serra da Estrela