Lisbon Things to Do Tips by ncfg
Lisbon Things to Do: 2,145 reviews and 4,213 photos
From the Miradouro das Portas do Sol e Santa Luzia we can see the church and monastery of São Vicente de Fora. It is from the sixteenth century with a Renaissance façade and has in its cloisters a series of interesting Portuguese tile (azulejo) panels inspired by La Fontaine's fables.
> Transport: Tram 28 or bus 12
Tue. to Fri. 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. Sat 9 a.m. - 7 p.m. Sun 9 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Address: Largo de São Vicente
Phone: 21 882 44 00
The beautiful building that you can see on my photo is the Municipal Central Library, it is located near Campo Pequeno and it has a lovely garden.
It is funny, but what came up to my mind when I arrived to Lisbon were two things:
First I want to see the new Stadium of Benfica, the stadium where it will be the final of the Euro 2004.
The second thing was I want to visit the S. Jorge Castle.
Don’t ask me why, but perhaps because of the great view we have from there and because I love castles.
Well, going up the hill, passing through the narrow streets we reach the Saint George Castle.
Address: Largo do Chäo da Feira
Phone: (21) 887 7244
The Belem Tower (Torre de Belem) is an imposing monument that dates from around 1515 and was built as a fortress to protect Lisbon harbour. It commemorates the period of Portugal's overseas expansion and Empire building.
It is an UNESCO World Heritage site.
The time was small, so I didn’t went inside. Next time !
You can go to the top peer into the tiny dungeon.
The timetable is :Tuesday-Sunday 10am-5pm or 6.30pm in summer
Located on Belem, the Jeronimos Monastery is an impressive and maybe the most magnificent building in Portugal.
It was build by King Dom Manuel I, in memory of Vasco da Gama's successful voyage to India.
This amazing and huge monument took over 70 years to complete.
I only visited the church and the entrance is free but to enter the cloisters is charged 4 euros.
Located on Belem, the Padrao dos Descobrimentos or Monument to the Discoveries is a great stone caravel that was built in commemoration of the heroes of Portugal's maritime history.
It was inaugurated in 1960 during celebrations of the 500 year anniversary of the death of the Infant D. Henrique (Henry the Navigator).
It is open Tues-Sun 9am-5pm or 6:30pm in July and August and you have to pay 2 euros ( in 2004) to go up and enjoy the beautiful view over Belem.
It is superb the view we have from this overlook, all those rooftops, narrow streets, beautiful buildings ...
We can see how big and beautiful the old Lisbon from there is.
Address: Miradouro da Graça
From the Miradouro de Santa Luzia, we can reach the Museum and the Church of S. Roque, this is one of the richest in Lisbon (Lisboa), as it possesses many works of European sacred art from the XVIth and XVIIth centuries.
> Transport: Elevador da Gl?ria; by Metro Baixa-Chiado or 58 and 100 buses
> Opening hours: from 10h00 to 17h00; Closed Mon.
Address: Largo Trindade Coelho
Phone: 21 323 53 81
The Castelo de Sao Jorge (Saint George Castle) is a mark of the Portugal?s history, having been in the hands of Romans, Suevians, Visigoths and Muslims.
It was rebuilt in the 1940s and has recently been renovated.
Within the castle, you can view multimedia presentations or just walking around the walls, towers and gardens.
In summer there are frequent festivals in the castle grounds. There is also a small restaurant open at summer only.
> Transport: Tram 12 or 28; bus 37.
> Opening hours: Daily 09:00-21:00 (Apr-Sep); daily 09:00-18:00 (Oct-Mar).
> Admission: Free.
Phone: (21) 887 7244
At the top of the hill in Largo da Graça, there is a beautiful church named just like the place Church of Graça.
I did not get the chance to go in but i can assure you that building itself from
outside is lovely.
I didn't found any information about it, sorry.
Address: Largo da Graça
More Reviews (38)
- See All Very Nice but not cheap
- See All Going from Lisbon airport to the city...
- See All Don't miss Estoril
- See All Ponte Vasco da Gama
- Vasco da Gama
ncfg's Related Pages
Lisbon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Lisbon"
- "My home town"
- "Lisbon, Portugal"
- "saudades de Lisboa"
- "Lisboa, probably the most beautiful city there is"
- "Lisboa the Capital of Portugal"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lisbon
- Hotels in Lisbon
- Transportation in Lisbon
- Nightlife in Lisbon
- Restaurants in Lisbon
- Shopping in Lisbon
- Warnings and Dangers in Lisbon
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lancaster Hotels
- Lago di Pusiano Hotels
- West Springfield Hotels
- Bad Windsheim
- Peterborough Hotels
Badges & Stats in Lisbon
- 54 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 74 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Lisbon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lisbon
Photos in LisbonSee All Photos (66)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 107 reviews, 122 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 54 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belém Intro, 30 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palma de Mallorca Intro, 30 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Braga Intro, 25 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Viana do Castelo Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos
- Madeira Island Intro, 29 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Serra da Estrela Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos
Latest Lisbon hotel reviews
- Zenit Lisboa Hotel
- 189 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2013
- Pensao Praca da Figueira
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Tryp Oriente Hotel Lisbon
- 162 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Hotel Miraparque Lisbon
- 209 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Alfama Patio Hostel
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Belver Principe Real
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Albergaria Insulana
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 9, 2013
- Botanico Hotel
- 110 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Amazonia Lisboa Hotel
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Sana Classic Executive Hotel Lisbon
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- Hotel Jorge V
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Lisbon Poets Hostel
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 2, 2013
- Sana Rex Hotel Lisboa
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 12, 2013
- Lisbon Parque das Naes Youth Hostel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2010
- Churches and monasteries- 221 Reviews, 430 Photos
- Belém- 294 Reviews, 593 Photos
- Plazas and squares- 173 Reviews, 300 Photos
- Castles and palaces- 139 Reviews, 301 Photos
- Museums and cultural centers- 156 Reviews, 382 Photos
- Grand structures and architecture- 187 Reviews, 315 Photos
- Day trips: Sintra, Cascais, Estoril...- 87 Reviews, 137 Photos
- Elevadores- 89 Reviews, 148 Photos
- Lisbon neighborhoods- 156 Reviews, 291 Photos
- Parks and the Zoo- 100 Reviews, 190 Photos
See All Lisbon Things to Do