"Alor Gajah" Kampong Alor Gajah by mansionion
Kampong Alor Gajah Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 23 photos
Alor Gajah is one of the three districts in Melaka and the Alor Gajah town is the district's capital town. The town is located to the north of Melaka city en route to Kuala Lumpur via the old trunk road.
Once a forested area, the name Alor Gajah (literally means elephant path) was coined as it is said that elephants used to roam freely here as the town was the path for wild elephants. Historically, Alor Gajah is well known for the Naning Wars and its warrior, Dato’ Dol Said, who had fought against the British during the wars in 1830s.
Today, the Alor Gajah district and town are undergoing rapid development. The district consists of three townships and 16 villages which covers 31 sub-districts in a land area of 66,302 hectares. A road up grading works is currently being under taken that would widen the existing 2 lane trunk roads into 4 lanes freeway.
Even with the development, the Alor Gajah town still remains as laid back as it used to be - it is just a medium size town with few rows of shop houses (mostly pre-war buildings) and without much activities. The main focal point of the town is its town square where most of its main attractions are located, including the Alor Gajah District Museum and the Keris Monument.
- Pros:Small and well maintained town.
- Cons:Not a single elephant in sigth nowadays :-)
- In a nutshell:A rustic quaint town.
Masjid Alor Gajah is the largest mosque within the Alor Gajah district. It is located within the town centre itself.... more travel advice
Most of the shop houses buildings in Alor Gajah town are were built prior to World-War 2, some dated back from around... more travel advice
mansionion's Related Pages
Kampong Alor Gajah Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Kampong Alor Gajah
- Transportation in Kampong Alor Gajah
- Restaurants in Kampong Alor Gajah
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kampong Alor Gajah
- 11 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Kampong Alor Gajah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kampong Alor Gajah
Photos in Kampong Alor GajahSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Lumpur Intro, 81 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 45 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Terengganu Intro, 28 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Tioman Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Genting Intro, 33 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mersing Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Bako National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiping Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Baharu Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue