"A traditional kampong in the heart of the city" Kampong Morten by mansionion
Kampong Morten Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 11 photos
Named after Mr J.F. Morten, who was the Commissioner of Land & Revenue Collector for the state of Melaka in 1920s, Kampong Morten is the only traditional Malay village in the heart of the historical city Melaka.
The history of Kampong Morten can be traced back to the time when two natives of Melaka, Datuk Othman Haji Muhammad Nor and Demang Haji Abdul Ghani, bought a piece of land from a Malay tycoon to accommodate people from several nearby villages who had been asked to move.
To keep the Malays from being forced to move out of the city, both of them forked out $10,000 from their own pockets to buy the 16.5 acre land and turn it into a settlement. The land was divided into 100 lots, and 3 years later in 1923, Kampong Morten was officially opened by Mr. Morten who was also instrumental to the setting up and development of the village as he had helped in various ways to get the village up and going.
As a result, Kampong Morten evolved as a cluster of traditional Malay wooden houses stood on stilts occupying over six hectares of what was once swampy land.
Today, Kampong Morten is considered as a living museum in the heart of the historical city of Melaka as many of its villagers are still preseving its age-old living style apart from the unique architecture of their houses.
A house by the name of Villa Sentosa in the kampong has been converted into a private living museum by its owner, which is a main attraction in this traditional kampong in the heart of the city.
- Pros:Experience kampong's life in the heart of the city
- Cons:The poluted Melaka River in the kampong's vicinity.
- In a nutshell:A traditional kampong in the heart of the city
Before entering a local house, shoes must always be removed and left at the doorsteps. This is also applicable even when... more travel advice
mansionion's Related Pages
Kampong Morten Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A traditional kampong in the heart of the city"
- Create a Kampong Morten Travel Page
Badges & Stats in Kampong Morten
- 2 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Kampong Morten?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kampong Morten
Photos in Kampong MortenSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Lumpur Intro, 81 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 45 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Terengganu Intro, 28 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Tioman Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Genting Intro, 33 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mersing Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Bako National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiping Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Baharu Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue