"My Kampung!" Kampong Paya Rumput by mansionion
Kampong Paya Rumput Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 4 photos
This page was created as a tribute to the place where I spend most of childhood days. Even though now I am based in KL, I will normally be back to this kampung of mine at least once a month as my parents and realative are staying here.
Kampung Paya Rumput is located midway between Alor Gajah and the historical city Melaka via the old trunk road. Most tourists en route to the historical city will normally stop by here to visit the kampung's most recogniseable landmark - the traditional Melakan house "Rumah Haji Ahmad". The house was built at the turn of the century in traditional Melakan house style by a former headman of the kampung.
I remember that way back in the 1980s, tourists who stoped by here can also have a look at rubber tappers at work at rubber plantations opposite the traditional house. There's also a small stall nearby selling souveniers and Melakan snacks. The house was also featured in various advertisement, including one by Tourism Malaysia promoting Melaka. But things has changed now...
And more changes are to come! As most part of the old trunk road is now being upgraded, some of the places along the road has to make way for development; and Kampung Paya Rumput is not spared for this so called development. Sadly, even this traditional heritage house willl also be demolished in the name of development... its sad but true.
I was at the house compound this evening, having a look at it maybe for the last time before the demolition works begin pretty soon. For me, Kampung Paya Rumput will never be the same again without its most recogniseable landmark.
- In a nutshell:It's no longer the same kampung that I used to
This road side food stall serve snacks for the afternoon or tea time. Among its menu are bananan/tapioca fritters, cucur... more travel advice
mansionion's Related Pages
Kampong Paya Rumput Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Kampong Paya Rumput
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Kampong Paya Rumput?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kampong Paya Rumput
Photos in Kampong Paya RumputSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Lumpur Intro, 81 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 45 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Terengganu Intro, 28 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Tioman Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Genting Intro, 33 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mersing Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Bako National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiping Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Baharu Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue