"Miri - Resort City & Gateway to the Wild" Top 5 Page for this destination Miri by mansionion
Miri Travel Guide: 242 reviews and 620 photos
Miri is said to be named after its pioneer settlers - the Miriek tribe. It is located close to the Brunei border in north-eastern Sarawak, making it an ideal northern tourism gateway of Sarawak as the jumping-off point for three of Sarawak's world-famous national parks- Niah Cave, Mulu Cave and Lambir Hills.
Just like its neighbour Brunei, Miri started to bloom when oil was discovered there in the early 1900s. Not suprising then as Miri is now home to Sarawak's oil industry. Oil definitely brought fortune to Miri as evidence in its fast development over the recent years.
For years, Miri has long been the shoping paradise for neighbouring Bruneians and the transit point for visitors to the nature wonders of Sarawak . However things have changed rapidly as Miri has just been declared as a city on 20.05.2005, making it the second city in Sarawak after Kuching. With the city status, Miri is set to be transformed into an ultra modern riverside resort city. Its modern new airport that started operation in July 2003 for instance is an evidence to this.
As a coastal city Miri has a scenic view of the sea. Its a blend of old and new - fishing village and skycrapers blending well together. Its waterfront area is lined with seafood restaurants and food courts - good for an outdoor dining experience or simply for an enjoyable walk.
For a small city with about 150,000 population, Miri surprisingly has that cosmopolitan feel with the presence of expatriates attached with Sarawak Shell. It has a good range of hotels in all price categories with a variety of food and entertainment outlets to chose from. There are also bustling native markets, scenic parks and shopping malls.
Probably its greatest asset is its multi racial population and cultures forming the most cosmopolitan, dynamic and friendliest of Sarawak's communities.
Forming a nice backdrop of the city is Kanada Hill - also known as Bukit Kanaan by the locals.
The hill provide a scenic view of the town and its surrounding area. It is also the location for the "Grand Old Lady of Miri" - a nickname given to the first oil well in Miri that was discovered on top of the hill in the year 1910.
In short, Miri seems to has a little bit of everything to offer - from cosmopolitan city life (albeit at a slower pace) to natural wonders at its doorstep - really fit the description of a resort city and gateway to the wild.
- Pros:A nice slow pace riverside resort city
- Cons:Minimal nite life
- In a nutshell:Good for breakaway from big city life and to enjoy nature wonders.
This is the only golf club close to the city centre. It is located in Pulau Melayu where the Shell Complex is located. more travel advice
It was a pleasant stay, I'll definitely recommend the hotel to others. Though initially my room's key was faulty, the... more travel advice
mansionion's Related Pages
Miri Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MIRI - THE OIL TOWN"
- "Home Sweet Home"
- "Miri - Resort City & Gateway to the Wild"
- "Starting point"
- "Miri - Starting point for National Parks and more!"
- "MIRI FOR A DAY!"
- "My hometown"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Miri
- Hotels in Miri
- Transportation in Miri
- Nightlife in Miri
- Restaurants in Miri
- Shopping in Miri
- Warnings and Dangers in Miri
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Miri
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Miri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Miri
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Lumpur Intro, 81 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 45 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Terengganu Intro, 28 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Tioman Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Genting Intro, 33 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mersing Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Bako National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiping Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Baharu Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue