"Kota Baharu" Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Baharu by mansionion
Kota Baharu Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 151 photos
Kota Baharu (or Kota Bharu or Kota Baru) is the name of a district where the state capital of Kelantan - Kota Baharu town - is located. The town of Kota Bharu is situated near the mouth of the Kelantan River close to the Thai border. Fondly refered to as "KB" by the locals, Kota Baharu literally means "new fort " or "new town" in Malay.
KB has long been regarded as a conservative muslim city since the late 1980s when the state of Kelantan falls under the ruling of PAS - an Islamic political party. However, the town is not much different from any other towns in Malaysia today eventhough it has been officially declared as an Islamic City by the state government in 2005.
Although the state government claimed that the city is governed by a strict Islamic law, life in the city is no different compared to other parts of Malaysia. However, one may noticed that selling of liquor and lottery are strictly prohibited here as well as the gender segregation in public places. Its weekend falls on Fridays and Saturdays when the Government offices and many stores are closed for business. Apart from that, other social activities that do not contradict with the Islamic norm are very much allowed here.
As a predominantly Malay-Muslim town, KB is said to be the Malay heartland. It is a good place to sample traditional Malay culture. Apart from mosques scattered all over the town, Thai-style Buddhist temples can also be found here due to its close proximity with the Thai border. There are also Thai comunities living in various places around here. In fact, the royal family of Kelantan has a close link with the Thais - the Crown Princess of Kelantan for instance hails from an aristocrat family in Southern Thailand. As the Royal Town of Kelantan, there are also few royal palaces in KB.
It is ironic that KB - which means "new fort" - was used as the landing point of the Japanese invasion forces during WW2 in December 1941. The town was easily captured by the Japanese army in their Malayan campaign when they successfully engaged the off guard British in jungle warfare. From KB, the Japanese troop moved towards the south until Singapore was finaly invanded in early 1942.
Tanah Merah is a small town about 20km from Kota Baharu. more travel advice
Rebana Ubi (giant gong) performance is a local custom in Kelantan and Kota Baharu. The performance is normally held to... more travel advice
mansionion's Related Pages
Kota Baharu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kota Bharu"
- "Kota Bharu"
- "Kota Baharu"
- "Well, finally .."
- "A true Malay city"
- "Kota Baharu ~ The East Coast"
- "'Old School' Malaysia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kota Baharu
- Hotels in Kota Baharu
- Transportation in Kota Baharu
- Nightlife in Kota Baharu
- Restaurants in Kota Baharu
- Shopping in Kota Baharu
- Warnings and Dangers in Kota Baharu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kota Baharu
- 12 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Kota Baharu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kota Baharu
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Lumpur Intro, 81 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 45 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Terengganu Intro, 28 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Tioman Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Genting Intro, 33 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mersing Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Bako National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiping Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Baharu Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue