"Rembau" Rembau by mansionion
Rembau Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 12 photos
REMBAU is one of the seven district in Negeri Sembilan. Just like some other districts in Malaysia, it is also the name of the main town of the district. In its heydays, Rembau stood proudly as an independent luak (state) for three centuries before becoming part of the confideration of Negeri Sembilan until today.
The name Rembau is said to be derived from an enormous tree known to the locals as "merbau" tree. However, to avoid confussion between Merbau the tree and Merbau the place, the name Merbau was later changed to Rembau by changing the spelling of the word.
In Negeri Sembilan, Rembau is traditionally known for the strict adherence of its peoples to the practices of the matrilineal social system known as "Adat Perpatih". The social system - whereby women have an important role in the society - was brought by the peoples of Minangkabau who migrated here in the 14th century and has since be the way of life here. Hence, Rembau is also known as "Daerah Beradat" due to the strict adherence of the Adat Perpatih here.
Rembau also lays claim as the birthplace of Negeri Sembilan as it was here where some of the major historical events of the state took place in its early history. For instance, the first settlement of the Minangkabau people was set up here upon their arrival in the 14th century. Subsequently, Raja Melewar was installed as the Yam Tuan (ruler) of Negeri Sembilan here in a place known as Astana Raja before assuming his throne at Seri Menanti
As such, Rembau can be said as the place where Negeri Sembilan was established and the cradle of the state's unique maritrilineal culture of Adat Perpatih. Befitting its nickname "The Route of Tradition", visitors to Rembau can find many aspetcs of customs reflected in the lives of the local peoples here as well as various places of interest, some rich in the early history of the local community and the state.
The Masjid Jamek Rembau is the main mosque for the district of Rembau. Located right in the heart of Rembau town, it has... more travel advice
Rembau town is located in the middle of Rembau district. It is a relatively small old town, with just few row of mostly... more travel advice
mansionion's Related Pages
Rembau Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Rembau
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Rembau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rembau
Photos in RembauSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Lumpur Intro, 81 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 45 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Terengganu Intro, 28 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Tioman Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Genting Intro, 33 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mersing Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Bako National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiping Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Baharu Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue