"PD." Top 5 Page for this destination Port Dickson by mansionion
Port Dickson Travel Guide: 162 reviews and 381 photos
Commonly refered to as PD, Port Dickson is the most touristy attraction in Negeri Sembilan and has long been the the favourite weekend beach retreat for city dwellers from the surrounding area. This is not surprising then as PD is blessed with a strecth of 18km of white sandy beaches that extend from Tanjung Gemuk in the north to Tanjung Tuan in the south.
PD was formerly known as Tanjung (Cape) and Arang (Charcoal) in reference to its location and a village where charcoal was made. It was later earmarked to be developed as a colonial beach resort and a port by Sir Frederick Dickson, a leading official in the Straits Settlement during the 1880s. Hence, the name Port Dickson was in honour of him.
The reason for the establishment of a port here was to reduce transportation costs for trainsporting of tin ore from the interior tin mines at Sungei Ujong. By setting up a port in PD, the cost of transportation could be reduced instead of using the old, winding land route all the way to Port Swenhentam (now known as Port Klang). However, PD was not succesfully developed into a full-fledged port but remain as a colonial beach resort as it was intended to be.
Today, PD is the most popular weekend beach retreat in Malaysia. Its location of a mere 32km from Seremban and 60km from Kuala Lumpur make it easily accesible from the city and an ideal temporary escape from the hustle and bustle of a city life.
- Pros:Laid back though relaltively close to the city.
- Cons:The beach is not as clean as before, but still OK.
- In a nutshell:Good for weekend gateway beach retreat.
Apart from the beach, P.D. also has other attractions to cater to the whole family such as this Ostrich Park Showfarm.... more travel advice
The Masjid Teluk Kemang is located on top of a hill in Teluk Kemang and looks stunning from a far. It is the bigest and... more travel advice
mansionion's Related Pages
Port Dickson Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Via occulta,solum lapideum,paries ligneus,cellula"
- "PD - Weekend Retreat"
- "It's my hometown...."
- "The Place Along The Straits of Malacca"
- "My favorite drunkard beach"
- "A short run away from the city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Dickson
- Hotels in Port Dickson
- Transportation in Port Dickson
- Nightlife in Port Dickson
- Restaurants in Port Dickson
- Shopping in Port Dickson
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Dickson
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Dickson
- 11 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Port Dickson?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Dickson
Photos in Port DicksonSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Lumpur Intro, 81 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 45 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Terengganu Intro, 28 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Tioman Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Genting Intro, 33 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mersing Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Bako National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiping Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Baharu Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue