"Melaka - The Historical City of Malaysia" Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka by mansionion

Melaka Travel Guide: 1,598 reviews and 3,930 photos

Melaka and I

Both my parents hail from Melaka (though mom was born in Singapore) and currently based there, enjoying their golden years. So its a natural thing for me to make regular trips to Melaka; returning to my roots.

I spend most of my childhood and adolescence days in Melaka, witnessing the transformation of Melaka from once a sleepy hollow to its present state. Even Melaka is fast developing, its still a laidback place less hectic than KL where I am base now.

Melaka will always has a special place in my heart. A place where I plan to spend my retirement age, just like my parents.

The Story of Melaka.

Founded by a renegade Sumatran Prince in 1400, Melaka got its name from the Melaka tree. From then on trading start to flourish in Melaka due to its ideal location in the spice route between China and India.

By the mid 1400s, Melaka was an important trading port in the east and was an empire by itself covering the whole Peninsular Malaysia and most part of Sumatra.

Melaka's fame and wealth later became the target of the expansionist Europeans. The Portuegese attacked Melaka in 1511 and ruled the state for 130 years before they were defeated by the Dutch in 1641. The Dutch ruled Melaka for almost 200 years, leaving behind a legacy in the form of fine archituctures that are standing still to these days.

The Dutch later handed over Melaka to the British in exchange for Sumatra in 1818 and hence Melaka was ruled by the East Indian Company from then on. The Japanese also ruled Melaka briefly during the World War 2 before they were defeated.

With the spread of the anti-colonialism post WW2 and movement towards independance and self governace, Melaka as part of the Federation of the Malay States was released from the British rule and declared an independance and sovereign state on 31 August 1957.

Melaka Today

Gone are its hey days, the State of Melaka now covers an area of just 658 square kilometers on the west coast of Peninsular Malaysia facing the Strait of Melaka and form part of Malaysia with the city of Melaka as its state capital.

Located about 147 kilometers from Kuala Lumpur and 245 kilometers from Singpore, Melaka is serviced by a very good network of roads leading to all the historical sites and places of interest. It is reachable via the North-South Highway that runs through the west coast of Peninsular Malaysia.

Melaka today is a fast developing state and thanks to its historical legacy, tourism is a major contribution to the state's development. As Melaka is the place where it all began (the story of Malaysia begin with Melaka), a visit to Melaka is a must for all who come to Malaysia.

• Pros:A historical city with its own charm and character
  • Cons:A bit lack of planned development (well what U expect from a 500 years old city?)
  • In a nutshell:A must visit for all who come to Malaysia.
  • Last visit to Melaka: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 11, 2004

• sheherezad's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2009 at 12:56 AM

I agree! Puri is a BEAUTIFUL hotel with a beautiful courtyard - I stayed in another Baba house that was broken up into tiny rooms about 10 years ago but will certainly stay in Puri next time round :-)

• Oct 28, 2006 at 1:02 PM

Lovely page about Melaka!

• black_mimi99's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2006 at 7:41 AM

cos u say about Sam Po Kong in my semarang page, make me wanna go to Melaka, and then.... i went there last week....... really colourful town and u have a nice page about it!! thx..:))

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2005 at 6:14 AM

Outstanding page, Mansionion! Your photos bring back lots of memories and remind me of how much work I need to put into my Melaka tips in the coming months! Great work!

• biancaX's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2005 at 10:25 PM

Best Melaka page ever. I followed some links & i found this page of your. Keep up the good work.

• ukirsari's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2005 at 4:53 AM

thanks m ... for the condolence i miss her. i do! will put her picture on my page for moments >> hoping she will knows that i was regret, i was not next to her when she's gone.

• ifam's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2005 at 9:48 PM

I love ur Melaka page, reminds me of my time there when my family used to stay in Tg Kling...near this Riviera Hotel..keep it up

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2005 at 12:48 AM

I wasn't aware of the thriving weekend nightlife at Jonker street. Great stuff! historical tips are great too. :)

• BlaTboy's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2005 at 6:07 PM

Hey Onion! Thanks for the B-day wishes, and NO problem, bout being late, AH! (still workin on Malaysian Slang) Thanks again. Cheers B-out

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2005 at 11:56 PM

Thanks onion for sharing about the cruise. Maybe I'll try that the next time if I have leftover time from overeating.

mansionion

“Where to next? Just pack & go!”

Badges & Stats in Melaka