"Melaka - The Historical City of Malaysia" Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka by mansionion
Melaka Travel Guide: 1,594 reviews and 3,911 photos
Both my parents hail from Melaka (though mom was born in Singapore) and currently based there, enjoying their golden years. So its a natural thing for me to make regular trips to Melaka; returning to my roots.
I spend most of my childhood and adolescence days in Melaka, witnessing the transformation of Melaka from once a sleepy hollow to its present state. Even Melaka is fast developing, its still a laidback place less hectic than KL where I am base now.
Melaka will always has a special place in my heart. A place where I plan to spend my retirement age, just like my parents.
Founded by a renegade Sumatran Prince in 1400, Melaka got its name from the Melaka tree. From then on trading start to flourish in Melaka due to its ideal location in the spice route between China and India.
By the mid 1400s, Melaka was an important trading port in the east and was an empire by itself covering the whole Peninsular Malaysia and most part of Sumatra.
Melaka's fame and wealth later became the target of the expansionist Europeans. The Portuegese attacked Melaka in 1511 and ruled the state for 130 years before they were defeated by the Dutch in 1641. The Dutch ruled Melaka for almost 200 years, leaving behind a legacy in the form of fine archituctures that are standing still to these days.
The Dutch later handed over Melaka to the British in exchange for Sumatra in 1818 and hence Melaka was ruled by the East Indian Company from then on. The Japanese also ruled Melaka briefly during the World War 2 before they were defeated.
With the spread of the anti-colonialism post WW2 and movement towards independance and self governace, Melaka as part of the Federation of the Malay States was released from the British rule and declared an independance and sovereign state on 31 August 1957.
Gone are its hey days, the State of Melaka now covers an area of just 658 square kilometers on the west coast of Peninsular Malaysia facing the Strait of Melaka and form part of Malaysia with the city of Melaka as its state capital.
Located about 147 kilometers from Kuala Lumpur and 245 kilometers from Singpore, Melaka is serviced by a very good network of roads leading to all the historical sites and places of interest. It is reachable via the North-South Highway that runs through the west coast of Peninsular Malaysia.
Melaka today is a fast developing state and thanks to its historical legacy, tourism is a major contribution to the state's development. As Melaka is the place where it all began (the story of Malaysia begin with Melaka), a visit to Melaka is a must for all who come to Malaysia.
- Pros:A historical city with its own charm and character
- Cons:A bit lack of planned development (well what U expect from a 500 years old city?)
- In a nutshell:A must visit for all who come to Malaysia.
On weekend and on special occasion, there will normally be a mini concert held in Jonker Walk for its visitors to enjoy. more travel advice
Visitors to Jonker Walk can participate in this free karoake sessions held at the Fuchien or Hainanese Associations's... more travel advice
mansionion's Related Pages
Melaka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Yeow Kwee (Glutton) in Melaka"
- "Melaka - The Historical City of Malaysia"
- "Historical Town of Melaka (Malacca)"
- "malacca, a smal historical city"
- "My Melaka"
- "More than a Historical Town - Home to Baba Nyonya"
- "Melaka - Malaysia's historical centre"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Melaka
- Hotels in Melaka
- Transportation in Melaka
- Nightlife in Melaka
- Restaurants in Melaka
- Shopping in Melaka
- Warnings and Dangers in Melaka
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Melaka
- 65 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 110 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Melaka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Melaka
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Lumpur Intro, 81 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 45 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Terengganu Intro, 28 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Tioman Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Genting Intro, 33 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mersing Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Bako National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiping Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Baharu Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (73)
Latest Melaka hotel reviews
- A'Famosa Resort Hotel Melaka
- 280 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Renaissance Melaka Hotel
- 302 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- The Golden Legacy Hotel Melaka
- 110 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Mahkota Hotel Melaka
- 292 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Shah's Beach Resort Melaka
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Tanjung Bidara Beach Resort
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 6, 2013
- Riviera Bay Resort
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 14, 2013
- Hotel Equatorial Melaka
- 613 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Air Keroh D'Village Resort
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Malacca Straits Hotel
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 11, 2013
- Hotel Orkid Melaka
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Puteri Resort Ayer Keroh
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 28, 2013
- Metropole Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Aug 12, 2009
- Harbour Inn
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013