"Cat City" Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching by mansionion
Kuching Travel Guide: 799 reviews and 2,086 photos
Kuching is the capital city for the state of Sarawak - Malaysia's largest state on the island of Borneo. It is said that its name is derived from many sources, however the most significant is from the Malay word "kucing" which means cat. Some sources say that Kuching originated from the Chinese word "Gu Chin" which means harbour as well as after a lychee like local fruit called "mata kucing" (cat's eye).
Kuching is a city fronting the Sarawak River. The river plays a significant role in the early days of Kuching as a trading post and it is still a significant part of the city untill today. The city has a long history as a trading post that has attracted people from various places to settle down in the area. Malays, Chinese, Indians, Europeans and others have joined the many indigenous groups of the region to create a multi cultural city as it is today.
In the 18th century, Sarawak was part of the Kingdom of Brunei. However, there was an uprising of dissatisfaction among the locals on the high tax payable to the Kingdom. These caused a large demonstration against the Brunei Empire.
Enter James Brooke, a rich English Adventurer who was later asked by the Sultan of Brunei to stop the demonstration in Sarawak. He succeeded and as a sign of appreciation, the Sultan of Brunei appointed James Brooke as the Governer of Sarawak.
As being a Governor is not enough for him, James Brooke requested the British Navy assistance to protect his position. With the protection, the Sultan of Brunei was forced to sign an agreement with him and Sarawak was fully handed over to James Brooke who later proclaimed himself as the First White Rajah of Sarawak.
Under his rule, Kuching became an important trading and administrative centre and consolidated its role as a port. His successor, Charles Brooke (1868-1917), was responsible for many of the historical buildings within the city. When Sarawak became part of the Federation of Malaysia in 1963, Kuching has changed and developed into a flourishing modern city.
Today, Kuching is said to be one of the most live able and people-friendly citiy in the region. It is a green and clean city that has all the modern amenities without losing its old world charm where multi-storey buildings blend well with structures from its colonial days. As its river front remain a focal point of the city , Kuching Waterfront was developed to give the city its own character.
- In a nutshell:A nice city by the river front.
The open air market is a market place selling various groceries items and agricultural products. There is also outdoor... more travel advice
The Indian Mosque Lane is narrow lane that connects the the Indian Street Padestrian Mall area to the Gambier Street,... more travel advice
Written Oct 31, 2004
Evening in Kuching Waterfront
Written Oct 31, 2004
Satok Weekend Market
mansionion's Related Pages
Kuching Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cat City"
- "The Liveable, Green Cat City Welcomes you Back"
- "A Quick Two Day Stay In Beautiful Kuching"
- "Kuching - City of Cats"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kuching
- Hotels in Kuching
- Transportation in Kuching
- Nightlife in Kuching
- Restaurants in Kuching
- Shopping in Kuching
- Warnings and Dangers in Kuching
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kuching
- 45 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 29 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Kuching?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kuching
Photos in KuchingSee All Photos (64)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Lumpur Intro, 81 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 45 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Terengganu Intro, 28 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Tioman Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Genting Intro, 33 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mersing Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Bako National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiping Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Baharu Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue